Computer controlled wood milling machine - advice required

I have to construct a few hundred hollow hardwood boxes. These are to be open on the underside with some detailed but shallow carving on the 4 vertical sides and a couple of 3mm drill holes in the top and one of the sides. I need tolerance for the holes of +/- 0.2mm. The box dimensions will be 10x10x5cm (w,d,h)
I am looking for a service in the UK that has a computer controlled machine to mill such an item from a solid hardwood block.
Does this seem like a sensible approach to make the item? Can anybody recommend a UK service that can carry out this task?
Thanks,
Peter wrote:

I know of a company in Suffolk who are embarking on setting one up. Not ready yet tho. - give em a month.

http://www.milinst.com/robotics/robotics.htm#axis

You're kidding, I've got one of the above and it's fun to play with but you won't be milling hardwood with it.
--
Tim Mitchell

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:48:58 +0000, Tim Mitchell

I agree with that synopsis - I have one here. A useful toy to get started with CNC control and maybe of some use to a model maker doing things with balsa wood. But I wouldn't give it the thumbs up for anything serious.
PoP

Just a suggestion in the absence of any others!

Sorry, I was not being nasty, I was just responding because Milford suggest that the machine is suitable for "light milling" duties, which might make you think it would do wood, but it won't.
--
Tim Mitchell

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:05:05 +0000, Tim Mitchell

Err, balsa is wood ;)
PoP
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:06:57 +0000, Peter

Try asking the people at Trend. They sell cnc equipment and may be able to put you in touch with someone.
Paul Mc Cann

Are you sure that wood is the rigth material for your needs? Holding a tolerance of +/- 0.2mm is going to be tough over time/temp and humidity variations.
Bob