Computer Controlled Mains Socket?

Under a tenner, where from?

Bye for now.

Clive.

Reply to
Clive Savage

Isn`t the 5v rail always on, I know the 12v is switched.

Bye for now.

Clive.

Reply to
Clive Savage

Several of the electronics places - CPC etc - but may have been on offer. Wimbledon Stadium Sunday market. Local Lidi.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some are, some aren't ;-) The USB sockets ones which support "wakeup" take their +5V from the 'always-on' 5V standby rail; on many motherboards such USB sockets are on the back panel, while the ones on add-in PCI accessory boards and the ones one a front panel are much less likely to be powered from the +5V-STB rail. A voltmeter (and a carefully butchered USB lead ;-) is your friend here

Disk drive power connectors, OTOH, have naff-all to do with any wimpy STB power, and taking a relay drive from them will reliably mirror the 'on-ness' of the machine...

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

To me, that is 'Standby', and my PC is properly switched off overnight.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

On all the PCs I have, when 'off', the USB ports go off. Easy enough to find out.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Have you checked out the last word of your post ?

Pete

Reply to
Peter Stockdale

Sorry. It was an intentional misspelling of "Voila", actually, intended as the instrument larger than a violin, not the flower.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

why an iso-optalator? The relay is already an isolator. And an iso-optalator implies yet another power supply for the coil. Why not drive the relay coil from the pc psu? The kickback current is trivial compared to the pc rail load, so no overvolt will occur.

All the OP need is a relay fitted into an an extension lead, with relay coil plugged into a port, eg USB.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

For a "normal" PC I'd agree. When modding the kids' iMac I worried a little more about the back-EMF and shorts in the run to the coil, since the iMac's an all-in-one space-optimised ingeneous design for which you won't find candidate PSU replacements littering your cubicle floor ;-)

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

That's exactly what I did on my Mac and it works brilliantly. I took the opportunity to also build a mains filter into the switch unit so mains spikes are less of an issue.

The USB provides 5V to switch on the relay for everything else. The USB lead was carefully opened up part-way along and the 5V connections were tapped off, leaving the other end still functioning normally.

On a Mac, 'sleep' mode leaves the USB powered, but proper powering down kills it.

When you give the shutdown command, it ponces about for 30 seconds or so, putting everything in order. You simply give the command and walk away. It switches everything off when it's finished. Very neat.

Reply to
Roly

Not in to musical thingies -sorry too. Pete

Reply to
Peter Stockdale