Compulsory water metering

He didn't think a lot...it was around when he was. I know a close friend of his very well - Mike Padlipsky.

Incidentally, Mike wrote an RFC that never made it into the archives although it's in the index. Not a particularly remarkable one, but I have a copy. What's interesting is that (despite the number having no significance to the subject material) it is the real RFC666...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

there is no such thing as 'perfectly safe' with html, for example until recently pictures could cause malware to be executed, who knows what other bugs are out there.

Reply to
Tumbleweed

This misses the point completely.

There are two.

Within major countries in the West and in the Northern hemisphere there is good bandwidth within and between major carriers and most service providers. Between major countries there is also good bandwidth in most cases.

However, there are certainly areas of the world where bandwidth is extremely expensive and performance poor either for logistical or telco monopoly reasons. For example, in South Africa, which is hardly the back and beyond, one pays 4-5 times UK prices for an ADSL connection that is capped at a very modest data volume. If one wants to download a few GB of files, it's actually cheaper to take a weekend flight to Hong Kong and sit in an Internet cafe to do it.

Secondly

While internet core bandwidth in general is fairly good, access at the edges remains poor in many places, for example if one lives some way from a telephone exchange. Of course high bandwidths are advertised but are only available in major conurbations.

Users should have the choice, in terms of the internet applications that they use, to be able to make the best use of what they have. It is no joke trying to access graphically rich services when one only has 56k dialup.

The point is that the limitations are where the user is, not in the core of the internet, so it's meaningless to refer to the traffic and content volumes there.

If you want to have something with all the graphical bells and whistles because you have good connectivity, then fine - it's called web groups and blogs. Please go and use them.

However don't expect to get any agreement from people who choose to use a text based medium because they find it fast and convenient.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hadn't heard of that one..

0666 Specification of the Unified User-Level Protocol. M.A. Padlipsky. November 1974. (Not online) (Status: UNKNOWN)

What was it about?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Bob Eager

It is just as easy for me to post a graphic using plain text as it is with html so this is another red herring. It is not a requirement for pictures to be used with html and is entirley dependent on the policy of the group and the usenet police.

Usenet was designed in the era of low speed dial up links that were shared by several users. In the main things are somewhat different these days and a few html tags is not going to have an adverse effect on >99.99% of users. However it does bring obvious benifits in the way of readability.

Yahoo groups are almost unusable. The interface is abismal.

Do you intend to keep up the dinosaur image forever?

Reply to
dennis

Been there done that.

However I have been working on networks with 10G links and 380G switches and routers in since then.

Anyone who thinks the Internet has limited bandwidth should have to configure a few routers, DSLAMs, 160G longreach optical links, add drop multiplexors, etc. so they can actually work out where these restrictions they go on about are.

I still fail to see why you think html is graphics?

Reply to
dennis

Matt, Capitalism works with breaks on it. Letting it go wild means the freedom amass far too much of the wealth of a society (that is the freedom the American are always on about). Look at the percentage of the wealth that is hands of the few in all major western capitalist countries. It is clear wealth is not evenly distributed, and an obscene amount of wealth is in the hands of the few, who then become powerful. So, they then have wealth to back their power in mainly propaganda.

Land Value Tax promotes wealth creation as it does not tax a mans labour and effort to get on, and distributes the proceeds of production more evenly.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That was a bug in the application. It didn't take html to cause the breach either just to attach a picture.

Even the security breaches people attach to html have nothing to do with html they are invariably to do with the scripting language which is not a part of html.

I still don't see why people confuse pictures and graphics with html they are *not* the same things.

Reply to
dennis
8<

There are many areas in the world where ASCII text doesn't allow the population to be able to read or write in their own language. It just happens, in the main, to be the same areas you think suffer from poor conectivity. So unless you want to impose English on these areas that argument is a bit thin.

We are talking about maybe 15% more bandwidth which could eaily be saved if it makes it easier to quote and snip the original messages. It is obvious with plain text some find it hard to decide who posted what and where to snip.

If you really want to take the silly "it save bandwidth" argument any further then maybe we should all use txt spch as it will save even more than you are currently saving by avoiding html tags.

We are *not* talking about graphics here we are talking about html tags.

Reply to
dennis

Income tax, CGT, IHT and corporation tax do more than enough to distribute wealth fairly.

This depends on what you mean by "evenly distributed". If you mean that everybody should get the same regardless of their contribution, then I disagree with you - that is the philosophy of workers' cooperatives. If you mean that it should be distributed *more* evenly than it is today, but within the bounds of the free market, then my contention is that the tax system as it stands today does that to the extent that it is necessary, and more.

Power controlling propaganda does not depend on wealth. Stalin had his way of achieving it and Berlusconi has his. (Just need to check, has Tessa resigned yet? )

I'm not wasting time on that discussion.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No it isn't. You will find many local language Usenet groups.

That is precisely why Usenet has posting rules. They are very simple to follow and it doesn't require fancy text tagging to look at who posted what. Even if you do use tagging, if s previous poster has snipped too much or formatted incorrectly, attributions can be incorrect.

I am simply suggesting using the set of rules and format that are well understood for Usenet use.

The problem is that many tools that support HTML also allow graphics insertion. As soon as tagging is allowed it would be difficult to prevent that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

One would either need to have tools that prevent graphics being inserted or there would need to be filters to prevent transmission.

The existing methods of text marking are perfectly adequate.

So why are you advocating rich format for something that already works perfectly well?

it doesn't really matter. Enough people are perfectly happy with the format and methodology as it is.

If you want to do something different, you are at liberty to do it on a web site or even invent your own new technology. Send in an RFC and make yourself as famous as Tim Berners-Lee if you like.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm fully aware of where the restrictions are.....

I didn't say that it was, only that once a transmission method, storage method or application becomes HTML enabled, graphics inevitably follow.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, look at the figures. They don't check out.

Matt, look at the figures.

Matt I didn't say that. Once again Matt gives his own answers, the ones he wants to hear.

Matt, it doesn't. Look at the figures.

Matt, it does. very wealthy people spend lost on keeping the status quo. An e.g., Duke of Westminster and Duke of Argyll spend money on the Countryside Alliance to keep teh stus quo, telling people we are short of land and can't build on it.

Matt, because you don't understand it. It is simple too. Please try some anti-sycophant pills.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You can insert the graphics now so why is there any difference?

what if I insert a very long line then say 100 words. Do all readers cope with that or are you relying on the sender word wraping it for you? I prefer to decide on how it is displayed myself.

It doesn't work very well. It only works if everyone does as they are told.

People often reply by add onto the trailing > at the end of the messages In general it limps along.

That would be the Tim that made html a reality.

Some of us have done stuff to influence the design of the internet.. but you wont like it;-)

Reply to
dennis

I'm glad to see that you're happy with the concept of income tax. A touch more progression (sliding scale) would improve it.

But then you also need a tax on monopolies: a sliding scale again up to 100% tax on the income of 100% monopolies. ;-)

[yes you're right - I don't like Microsoft or Murdoch] ;-)
Reply to
John Cartmell

No they are not the same but pictures come with html like swallows with spring.

Reply to
Tumbleweed

I seem to recall that 100% slavery was once considered acceptable.

A touch more

Humour me here, would you? Set up a spreadsheet comparing tax payment with salary, based on the current tax rates. Now add another column with a single tax rate and a single threshold/personal allowance. Now vary these two values to establish limits between which the total income tax revenue could be the same. It's not possible to specify values without involving income distribution which makes it much messier, but it's possible to draw some conclusions.

Now, which method taxes the lower-paid less, and the higher-paid more for the same total revenue? A bit counter-intuitive, isn't it, until you think about it?

You've been peeking. I couldn't decide whether Corporation Tax should be market share times gross income or turnover. I'm inclining towards turnover. Now, imagine what kind of government might implement such a policy, and more to the point, how they would achieve power.

You probably needn't bother trying to enlist the Sun, then.

Reply to
Joe

Eee, transatlantic phone links, tha was spoilt. When Ah were a lad we 'ad Usenet sent over on tape by sea mail and thought ourselves lucky :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain