Compressors and airline fittings

Hi all, bought a compressor of ebay, and some airline and tools from machine mart only to find i now need fittings to couple 'em all together! can someone explain the basics about compressors for me? i.e...lubrication for the tools, using paint spray guns, precautions etc etc? also the compressor has an air outlet attached to the body of the air receiver and two outlets on what appears to be an air pressure adjustable gadget...which do i use for what?

TIA!

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Compressors aren't a basic d.i.y. tool to be treated with a casual, learn as you potter along attitude.

Try a google search using any of your post phrases.

Reply to
keng

Usually Machine Mart sell their air tools and hoses with 1/4"BSP screw connections made on, but I assume you are talking about quick release connectors.

There are various types of connectors, PCL, Euro, and Bayonet connectors. I bought some sets from Ebay that were similar to the Euro type connectors but were very reasonably priced.

Spray guns, Blow guns, Tyre inflators don't need lubrication. Nail guns / staplers do need lubrication, you can lubricate them manually or buy an inline oiler for constant use.

The variable pressure regulator normally controls pressure on one of the outlets, the outlet other may be unregulated.

Reply to
Kaiser

Another point is that the above tools often require any lubricant in the air supply to be removed using a suitable trap, especially spray guns.

Nail guns /

But there should be a water trap before the tool.

If the unregulated outlet is low down on the tank it could be intended as a tank drain, and certainly if it is at the bottom, to allow trapped water to be removed.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Agreed, but not really so important on small portable compressors as they don't often get used long enough to get much of a moisture build up, and you can always drain it off using the drain valve at the bottom of the tank. Probably more important on an industrial unit where it is running constantly.

Mine came with two side by side conventional 1/4"BSP male outlets one regulated and one not, to which I fitted quick release connectors. It has a separate drain valve below the tank.

Reply to
Kaiser

I was 'given' one of those little 'Bambi' (I think they are called?) super quiet compressors (that sits on a tank that looks like a big cheese ) and when I collected it I found it was 'very' heavy for it's size.

When I tested it it seemed to come up to pressure very quickly and in use had little capacity?

I undid the lower drain tap and the tank must have been completely full of water! ;-(

It had been used in a "Goods out" area to power one of those instant two part foam packing machines and was on (but not running) most of the day (but never drained off obviously!).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Various connections get commonly used. The simplest is the PCL connector. You would typically fit a female one to the compressor and the tool and of the hose, and a male one to the other end of the hose and each of your tools. That way you can quickly plug and unplug tools and hoses. The PCL is self sealing as well, so if you disconnect a tool from the end of the hose you don't then have air blasting out the end!

Look in the Axminster catalogue, there is a good range there including the lubricants.

If your compressor is "oil free", then it does not use any. Otherwise compressor oil would be the stuff to use. Many have a dipstick and can be topped up much as you would a car.

Lubrication of the tools is done with air tool oil (or any light oil in many cases). Some tools will be happy with a few drops of oil up their supply connector each time you finish using them. Others would prefer an in-line oiler. These can be either mounted on the compressor, automatically feeding all tools, or smaller in-line ones mounted on the tools inlet.

If you are paint spraying you may not want in-line oiling since it can contaminate your paint finish.

Treat with great respect! Spray guns in particular - placed close to the skin they can inject paint and thinners straight through it, and cause a nice big embolism in the process.

Take care when connecting or disconnecting hoses, use ear defenders even for this. Long hoses can give quite an explosive decompression when disconnected from the feed end - fitting a blow head and discharging the air in the hose first can be a good move.

Blow heads/dusters can be very useful, but can also give you a face or eye full of dust/swarf in short order in not used with care and eye protection.

Depends a bit on the type of compressor... (do you have the ebay item number, we could have a look?). Often there are two pressure gauges, one reads the pressure in the receiver, the other the pressure of the output. A pressure switch will keep the receiver topped up to within upper and lower limits by turning the compressor on and off as required. An adjustable regulator can be used to select the output pressure to the tool. Most will state what their ideal and maximum pressures are. 60 -

90psi is quite common.

Check for a water drain on the compressor, let out any water that has condensed in it at the end of the day once it has been depressurised.

Reply to
John Rumm

Most manufacturers recommend draining the tank every day to help prevent corrosion inside of the tank. Moisture/Water traps (some times referred to as separators) are generally used on industrial permanent installations where moisture lays trapped in the distribution pipe work.

Reply to
Kaiser

The inside of the tank (receiver) can corrode and can be weakened to the point where it is unsafe. If it should fail under pressure, it will burst in an explosive manner, scattering metal fragments at lethal velocities.

If the compressor is second-hand, it is important to pressure test the receiver, with water, to a pressure in excess of it's working pressure to ensure that it won't fail.

If it's used for work, I think the Pressure System Regulations apply. I don't know if there's any legal requirement to inspect & test DIY compressors, like an MOT test. It could still kill.

Anyone know of any relevant legislation?

Reply to
Aidan

It's a code of practice and the inspection carried out by the Companys Insurer.

Reply to
Kaiser

apply.

Companys

Yes. I know.

So, if it's a compressor for DIY use, there is no company and no company's insurer.

Anyone know of any relevant legislation?

Reply to
Aidan

I have just done a google search and found this government document, but it doesn't seem to mention anything to do with DIY use, unless I've missed something.

Kaiser

If its used for work there is an insurance inspection, bi-annually iirc. Usual set up is compressor - drier - reciever, with auto drain into oil/water seperator and at the business end FRL (filter, regulator, lubricator)

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

All the installations I've seen have the dryer *after* the receiver, due to the need to 'chill' the air (although this might be specific to installations feeding air feed breathing masks etc.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I stand corrected - you are right Jerry, the compressor feeds into the reciever (which removes the bulk of the water) and then the air is feed through the drier. (I just pictured the physical arrangement at work)

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff