Compressor usage

Just a quick question about compressors. I have an ABAC, 3HP, 60ltr tank.

Is it OK to leave the tank under pressure for extended periods. I'd like to just leave it charged so its ready for use, if I just need to use the air duster for a moment, for example.

Is it OK to do this, or should it be emptied after use ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Thalan

It is ok, but unless your tank has an automatic condensation drain it's important to frequently open the drain to remove water which gathers at the bottom of the tank.

Reply to
Grunff

On a differnt tack, I have a 3hp compressor not used in years. The drain is open. If I want to use it after standing for so long is there anything I need to do or do I just replace the drain plug and start up.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

The piston may well be rusted in the cylinder, so I wouldn't run it without taking the head off, having a look and spraying lots of penetrating oil in.

Reply to
Grunff

Good point!

I was given one of those 'Bambi' (is it) compressors that look like there are sitting on a big cheese and are very quiet. I felt it was very heavy for it's size till I discovered the tank was nearly FULL of water!

Seems to hold a lot more air now ...

T i m

Reply to
T i m

How many years are you talking about, if it's many then I personally would get the tank hydraulically tested and the inside checked for corrosion.

Remember a tank full of compressed air is similar to a bomb if the tank fails.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Yes.

The prolonged pressure doesn't hurt. Emptying and re-filling continually will dump more water into the reservoir and that _is_ bad. Even worse is leaving it continually powered up if there's an air leak.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Err, that does not bode well for units that have constant usage, or is there a difference between an air leak and used air being discharged from the 'tool' ?!...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Mainly, that the thing is likely to fire up at 3am and not endear you to the neighbours.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

How do you look inside for corrosion?

Reply to
GB

*you* don't, a pressure vessel (aka boiler) inspector can, there are many ways to do so, even if the 'vessel' doesn't have inspection plugs.
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I put mine on a timer the third time it went off at 3am and I had to shuffle downstairs and switch it off.

Reply to
Huge

No, there's no difference.

If the compressor is getting "industrial" use, you really should have an automatic drain valve and some policy to test the tank (pressure or ultrasound) against rusting.

Rust-through accidents are rarely serious (they form a pinhole that doesn't spread), but a catastrophic failure certainly would be. The only one I've personally seen was a vertical tank with a flat welded-on base. It was the weld that failed, then zippered all the way round. This was enough to put the tank through the roof.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Exactly, so your comment was rather pointless to say the least !

Why, they / can / cause more problems than they solve. Now if you were talking about dryers you would be correct, but that is due to how they work.

and some policy to test the tank (pressure or

Which any compressor in an "industrial" will have, at the insistence of the insurance company.

I would not like to be in the 'line of fire' when the pin hole forms, I suspect any fragments of metal would be akin to gun shot I suspect. Assuming that the failure stayed just as a pin hole...

but a catastrophic failure certainly would be. The

Yes, that is the problem, you will never know how the vessel is going to fail until it does, then it is to late. IMO complacency is not an option, any catastrophic failure is likely to have implications beyond the complacent owner / operator.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Thanks for your responses.

Any advice about how often the tank should be emptied to drain of the water ?

Reply to
Thalan

This really depends on how you use the compressor. I don't use mine every day - more like every weekend, and maybe one or twice during the week. So I drain the tank every weekend last thing on Sunday.

If I was using it every day, I would probably drain it every other day. If it was using it once a month, I'd drain it at the end of each day's use, so as not to leave water sitting there for a month between uses.

Reply to
Grunff

Depends how much you use the compressor and how damp the air is when you're using it. Check after a month and if nothing much comes out leave it longer next time. I drain the tank once a year as a minimum. It would be nice to have a bleed valve that would let you eject the water without depressurising the reservoir.

Reply to
Richard Porter

You can get these.

e.g. RS Components 234-1993