Compressor dehumidifier

Who makes a decent, small, portable one?

I have a desiccant type (original purpose conservatory and shed, alternately so needs to cope with cold, hence the choice).

It's been under trial drying clothes indoors and has been extremely successful.

So I want to get it back to its intended purpose, and get a small more efficient compressor type for indoors.

So - any recommendations? Quite, compact and long lived are the main critera :)

Ta muchly

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim, we bought a Meaco 12L low energy dehumidifer just after Christmas (John lewis), which is good for an average three bedroom house. I think we paid around £160.

See

.

Power consumption: 165W Water tank capacity: 2.5L Weight: 9.5Kg Sizwe (wxDxH0: 325x248x485mm.

We live in a Victorian terrace and this winter experienced some mould in places on the outside walls. The unit was pulling around 4 - 5L a day for around 2 weeks but now is off around a third of time and pulling about a litre per 24 hours.. The humidity is now around 53-55% except when cooking, etc.

Importantly, the house feels warmer and the gas central heating is on less. No idea about life of the unit but I would think that it will pay for itself in reduced heating bills within a couple of years.

Charlie.

Reply to
Charlie

Thanks!

That and it's 20L sister get really good reviews on Amazon (but your price is less, I'll check out JL) - one review:

actually had it head to head with an EcoAir DD122FW which is what I've got (except mine has the mechanical controls) and claimed it used a little less and than the EcoAir power but the Meaco's extraction rate was also higher, so it was significantly more efficient with both factors combined.

That's on my list now...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I bought 3 from Homebase about 14 years ago, WDH-168H, which were still available for many years afterwards. They looked just like one of the ebac models of the time. One developed a fault on its circuit board within a month, but having worked out it was a 5p zener diode which had died, I fixed it myself. Two of them have had a lot of use, and a month ago, the fan motor bearings started failing within a week of each other. (For the moment, I've managed to get some oil into the ball bearings, and that's got them running silently again, but it's a short term measure, and I need to get around to ordering new bearings, which are fortunately a very common size as they're the same as used on skate boards.) Also, on one of these, the condensate microswitch just failed and I had to replace it, but these have had 14 years of heavy use, so I' can't complain.

These say 400W on the rating plate, although they're actually nearer 250W when measured. They're all used mostly for clothes drying.

Some things to bear in mind when choosing...

If you don't want the thing to stop every so often when the tank fills, make sure you get one which can discharge to a pipe for permanent connection to a waste.

Some have a control panel which might offer you various options (timed, humidity control, etc), but these often can't be controlled other than from the panel (e.g. just turning the mains on and off will not cause them to run). This will be an issue if you want to control one other than from its own front panel.

If you are going to use one below around 15C ambient, it will need to be one which can detect and handle condensate freezing on the evaporator.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I bought a rotating disc (non-compressor) version for use on my boat, as these are far more efficinet in cold weather.

Been working fine for 2 seasons ... takes out a couple of litres a water each week.

The model I bought was ECOAIR DD122FW as it won the top marks in tests by a boating magazine.

I leave it on automatic set to 60% rhd and have a drain pipe sop condensate goes direct outside boat to a 5L can.

Reply to
rick