Compression vs. push-fit fittings?

In locations where one may not want to use a hot torch (like 5cm from the main gas pipe!), which is considered the more reliable joining method? What are the pro's/con's of each? I've used compression, but never push-fit.

Talking about 15mm copper piping for hot water (rads) if that makes any difference.

al

Push fit fittings work perfectly well provided that you follow manufacturer instructions. This means that tube ends must be square and clean. If you are using plastic pipe, use the proper cutting tool. If you are using copper, then a tubing cutter. On no account use a hacksaw.

If you feel more comfortable with compression, then fine, but both are perfectly suitable.

Reply to
Andy Hall

..Lord Hall informs us all with tripe ..hacksaws are used on copper pipe ..you place the saw on pipe in view ..and pull and push until it's through

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I've done quite a lot of plumbing in my time but not in the last few years. Am I correct in saying the push-fit variety have a rubber seal in them. What's the life expectancy of this seal, just that a compression fitting with a brass olive sounds a far more permanent solution.

Reply to
Fred

There is usually an O-ring seal made from EPDM, which is a synthetic rubber.

manufacturers guarantee their products for a minimum of 25 years.

Andy Hall

Andy Hall wrote: > On no account

This /golden rule/ was broken by our plumber (we call him "hamfist").

Over a year later we sprouted 2 leaks due to the O rings eventually failing, presumably due to nicks introduced by the burrs on the pipe ends.

The rest of his work only just avoided the best bodges thread.

HTH

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Using a proper tube cutter produces a slightly 'rolled over' end in copper tube - ideal for the smooth and damage free entry to a rubber seal.

I'm surprised one of your claimed experience hasn't noticed this? Perhaps a visit to Specsavers is needed. They advertise heavily so you must know about them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I really can't understand a pro - or anyone plumbing for money - not using the correct tube cutter. They're hardly expensive, and save time too, apart from giving the cut required.

Of course bar room experts like IMM or Drivel will always think they know better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Glad you put poetry in parenthesis...

I'd suspect a new medication. Perhaps they'll get the dose right soon.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

..the hacksaw comes with instructions on hand ..Lord Hall is unable to understand

..how to saw copper pipe he asks ..not knowing simple DIY tasks

..One more point I will will have to say ..Lord Halls top hat gets in the way

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Being our onanist-par-excellence I would have thought that he would be a regular Specsavers customer..... :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

aye, kopex and robocut rule.

RT

Reply to
[news]

It amazes me too!

Hamfist, we found, was just unbeleivably lazy and shortsightedly tight.

Eg. loo:

Couldn't be arsed scraping a little plaster off the floor, before fitting loo, hence it wobbled until I refitted it recently.

Cistern tied to plasterboard with std rawplugs. Still they were easy to pull out by hand when (as I had to refit anyway).

Pan adapter a bit too short and seal fouling end of spigot, still he had plenty of mait so it didn't leak (much) ... loo blocked regularly until refitted.

Also, in the kitchen he seemed unable to grasp that the waste adapter on the sink leaked. "Fixed" it 3 times, and then I had to fix it once more in a manner which actually removed said leak ... it was just a creased seal.

The list goes on and on ...

In the end I paid him just to keep him out of the house, his fixes had usually a negative effect.

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

I got one of the little mini-cutters for difficult places so I should get a good cut and be able to clean it up a bit with some wire wool. Which brings me to my next point .... since I'll have to join to the end of an old pipe, it sounds like I may get a more reliable join with a compression fitting.

I've heard of using both PTFE tape and threadseal over the olive to help seal it up more. Hype or help?

al

I know your source of cut and paste for this..

It's your Rupert books, isn't it?

For example:

To try to help the working elves, The chums go underground themselves

Do you wear yellow trousers by any chance?

Reply to
Andy Hall

LOL, but one has to ask *how* do you know, memories from childhood, reading to your child or perhaps you just have overly large ears ?!.. :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Hi,

Couple of hints here:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

..Lord Hall he has a favourite book ..every night he has a look ..the bumper version big and set ..the size of a front doorstep ..the contents of he thinks it matters ..this large print tome is now in tatters ..from constant thumbing its ripped apart ..from gaining knowledge it did impart ..from big colour piccies he is turned on so .."How Things Work" it lets him know

..from this book has a peep ..It's under his pillow while Lord Halls asleep

..the moral of this encyclopaedic tree ..is not to pinch books from kids under three

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

All of the above really ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

With the acidity of our water here the plastic O ring lasts a lot longer than the compression joint.

Reply to
Mike