compression fixings / rotating pipes

Tighten the joint. Then release it. Go round each joint in turn doing this. This gets all the olives nicely crimped onto the pipes.

Now, when you go round tightening each joint, you'll find that the pipes don't move so much, as you only need a little nip up on each, the hard work having already been done whilst the other joints were loose.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hi,

Try using a spanner on the nut at *both* ends of the fitting, then work each end to keep the fitting aligned OK.

Or hold the body as already mentioned. If a service valve, taking any handwheel/lever off while doing so may help.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

|> If you need to hold a copper pipe a strap wrench will do a better job than |> mole grips, | |As you replied to my post |IMHO copper pipe is too soft to grip with anything effectively without |risking damage. |I was advising holding the fitting _not_ the pipe.

IME copper pipe is quite strong enough to withstand holding with a boa-constrictor strap wrench, as I described.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Well hold it at that angle while you screw up the pipe..I generally fit the pipe to the unit first, then fit the unit to the existing plumbing.

If the pipe hasn't got a bend in it who care what orientation it is? If it has, use the bend to stop it rotating by showing a bit of dowel up it.

I don't use bent pipe anyway..use soldered elbows usually. Fit em afterwwards.

I.e. do all compression fittings first, then assemble the pipwork and solder it up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher