compression fittings on plastic pipe

I've got a T junction under my sink which has a slight weep.

Two plastic pipes with plastic stiffening end inserts fit into a conventional brass compression fitting with olives. There's a T off to a washing machine in copper pipe.

Is it usual to run plastic pipes into a regular compression fitting like this? If so are there any tips for making it seal properly?

Reply to
andyv

The plastic may be displaced a little from the olive area over time, despite the inserts. Perhaps half a turn or so on the compression nut would fix it?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Yes, no problem at all. Some inserts are better than others. I prefer the Speedfit ones, which have a secondary sealing mechanism using a couple of O-rings to supplement the olive.

When doing them up, the nuts need more turning than with copper.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I think I've got it now.

I decided to cut a new clean end and give it a fresh olive. Fingers crossed.

Thanks guys.

Reply to
andyv

In message , andyv writes

The instructions for Hep2O suggest wrapping a few turns of PTFE tape around the olive before making the joint. I've followed this advice on a plastic/compression joint and it has worked well (I know that you don't normally use PTFE ona compression joint)

Reply to
chris French

Speedfit have two types of inserts. The double seal for plastic pushfits and one without for brass compression joints.

I prefer metal inserts when using brass compression joints. Speedfit are plastic.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel