Compression Fittings

Hi All

Decided to put some basic compression fittings into stock. Checked out Screwfix and they seemed dearer than Wickes.

Quick check on 15mm straight, 90 elbow & equal tee in packs of 10. Screwfix were dearer! Toolstation beat both of them!

Buying a pack of each from Toolstation is over a £5 (25% ish) cheaper than Screwfix.

Pays to shop around innit?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

BES have various packs in different grades

Trying several kebab vans?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Compression fittings and myself fell out years ago and have never really got on. I use push-fit now, and copper push-fit where they will be seen.

It just saves so much stress and aggro checking for that little tiny drip on the bottom of the compression joint every few minutes

dg

Reply to
dg

Pop into your local plumbers merchant,you'd be suprised?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yehbut were they all the same quality?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No but, yeh but, this fing happened what you don't know anyfing about, and anyway they is all made to BS 864 part 2, so shuddup.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So was the Titanic....

Reply to
Andy Hall

You mean the chinese interpretation of BS 864. P2!

Reply to
Bookworm

At how expensive they are.

15mm end-feed slip coupler. B&Q £1.06, plumber's merchant over four times that!
Reply to
PM

Did you not notice the ? at the end?

What this means it might be dearer in other parts of the country,in my PM its cheaper to shop there for plumbing which is a 3min walk

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Many of the Chinese compression fittings don't comply to the the specific metal content requirements of the standards. Lead content being a critical element. Importers such as distributors don't have the equipement to undertake metal analysis hence rely on the Chinese manufacturers to make the product to standard!

The UK brands Conex and Yorkshire I know analyse and control the metal contents of their compression fittings on every batch.

Lastly DZR (dezincification resistant) fittings are required for some ares of the country since the zinc can be leached out by the poor water quality. This can rot the fitting in a few years.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Reply to
dave northern lights

Compression fittings and myself fell out years ago and have never really got on. I use push-fit now, and copper push-fit where they will be seen.

It just saves so much stress and aggro checking for that little tiny drip on the bottom of the compression joint every few minutes

dg

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Mat, thet Titanic was a pipe fitting?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

OK for the amateur with money to waste I suppose. But it really doesn't take too much effort to learn how to solder. And save a substantial sum on each and every joint.

Again, it's technique. A properly made one won't drip.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Terrible isn't it. He has even got me mixed up with someone else. It is best he just effs off as he really is an idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not at all. It was the unquoted text in your post. If you understand what that means - which I doubt.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sad isn't it. It is best he just effs off as he really is an idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel