Compression Elbows

Bought some 15mm compression elbows from my local plumbing bits supplier. Normally buy from Wickes as they are much cheaper.

I've found them much harder to do up, they seem to take a lot more force to achieve a leak free joint and they 'squeak' as you do them up.

My normal practice is to hold the elbow with Mole grips whilst doing the nut up, to avoid stressing the other side of the joint, but these take so much force the Mole grips are slipping.

How do others hold elbows whilst doing up fittings? Moles seem the obvious choice to me?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Suggest you try different olives - soft copper ones are usually easier to do up. Funny how some apparently identical brass ones are much harder than others.

Try tightening up the fitting without the olive (or the pipe!). This would help to ensure the threads are clean.

I usually use one or more of a) adjustable wrench (Bahco!); b) Stilsons; c) fixed spanner; d) water pump pliers.

Reply to
Rod

I always grease the threads and the olives on compression fittings. Much easier to tighten and no screeching. Also most of the elbows I use have a pair of flats cast in on the corner. Just right for an open ended spanner and save risking marks from mole grips.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Lubricate the thread and olive with mait. Use a mole on the body of the fitting and a spanner on the nut.

Works for me with no noise and control of the tightening.

Reply to
EricP