Compound Mitre saws

I'm thinking of buying one, however I notice that the blades on the majority of these saws have large cutting teeth, wil this not give me a rough cut and splinter the cut? particulary if it's mainy used for taurus skirting board.

any thoughts opinions on this Model? I know it's NuTool but I only want a cheapo Model.

ben

aren't bad. Accuracy isn't great, and the blade that comes with the tool is crap. First thing to do is replace the blade with a decent finer pitch one from screwfix or toolstation.

Be aware that the cutting capacity isn't huge, and it won't be able to cut most skirting. If skirting is your main reason for buying, a sliding mitre saw is what you need.

Reply to
Grunff

You need a sliding saw for skirting, unless you're talking about stingy modern stuff which is glorified beading.

B&Q do a whole range of cheapies. However, some are better than others. Mine is fine, with twin bar slide and 255mm blade for 99 quid. Some of their models add features of dubious usability (i.e. laser guides), whilst losing essential features (twin bar), so choose carefully.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Last week the PP ones were on half price offer. Things always are when I can't even imagine a reason for buying one.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

PP?

Reply to
ben

Hah! PowerPlus

I just purchased a secondhand one of those for £20. Not too bad as their selling in B&Q £40 I'm suprised at the size of the teeth on the blade and it gives a nice clean cut.

Hmmm! room for some modifications on this saw.

Reply to
ben

Performance Power. Very cheap. Hit and miss quality. Some of it is perfectly adequete, some of it attrocious, although the tool fascists will tell you that any tool costing under 1000 quid is not worth having...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you own the PP 210 compound saw...

To get the extra height i.e 5"to6" undo the small silver nut screw at the back and also take out the rubber stop at the right hand side(allen key grubscrew) Hey presto extra height.

Reply to
ben

We impulse bought one of these £39.99 B&Q ones recently and its been surprising good. Used it for all kinds of jobs from cutting new ceiling joists to fancy torus skirting.

Reply to
OldBill

B&Q have two ranges of own label power tools. Performance Power Pro which are blue with grey bits and the PP range which are grey.

IME the grey stuff is pants and the blue/grey stuff is OK to good.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Does the Plastic guard go up when you attempt to do a cut? or is it manual lift before the cut.

I'm a bit confused here because I thought all compound mitre saws had this feature standard due to being a safty point. Mine does not lift automatically and I'm wondering wheather the guard has been fitted wrongly or missing a part?

Thanks OldBill

Reply to
ben

My rantings on this sort of things are here

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW