Composite front doors

Hi-

I've been looking at these, and have a couple of similar prices (£1000 - £1100 fitted) for composite front doors. The offers are two very differen t types though.

One is made by XtremeDoor (

) and is a foam co re with a GRP skin, a wood frame and a uPVC outer frame. Their main advanta ge seems to be thermal insulation.

The other is by Solidor (

) which is a 48mm solid timber core with a GRP skin. Their main advantage is supposedly weight and solid feel.

I'm wondering - apart from not needing painting - what the benefit of a Sol idor one would be over a regular hardwood door. I wonder if its thermal ins ulation would be any good too.

My mother has had the XtremeDoor type fitted and it seems pretty good - pos sibly a bit light in feel compared to timber but otherwise OK.

Wondering if anyone has any experience or comment on either of these brands or more generally the construction type of these doors? I get the impressi on composite doors got a bad name when they first came out because of crack ing and warping issues, but I understand these should be resolved now if yo u get a reputable brand. True or not?

Thanks in advance!

John

Reply to
John Carlyle-Clarke

Sorry to butt in - any thoughts on Distinction Doors? Some brands I have seen have a rather exagerated wood grain. Any views?

DerbyBorn