Completely & utterly OT - Price structure

Much better though it's still a serif font. B-)

You could always dive into crafting the pages yourself, they aren't overly complicated.

92% of browsers report to be MS. This isn't the same as actually being MS. Many none MS browsers can be told to lie about what they are to get around dumb sites that work perfectly well but refuse to play unless lied to...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I do my sites with dreamweaver. Not cheap, but produces much better code, which works well with most browsers.

Reply to
<me9

That must just be what you have selected as a default in your browser.

Verdana is sans-serif, but if you have not got that, then the browser is choosing its own.

How does your browser render my home page? (link in sig)

That should also be Verdana, but it has a preference list in its CSS:

.body { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:

12px; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #000000; text-align: left}

That should mean a browser will try Verdana, then Arial, then Helvetica, then anything sans-serif in order of declining preference.

The difficulty there is that FP will not leave the code alone - if you craft it yourself, it starts rewriting stuff for you (badly). That is why (well one of the reasons why) it is useless for any web development that has embedded code or tags that you need left alone.

You can't even guarantee that FP sites look alike on different versions of MS browsers. Having said that this one is not doing much stuff that should vary too much between them. If you have a look at the screen shot I took

you can also see how the font weights etc vary between Firefox (which renders them correctly) and IE6 which gets everything too heavy.

Reply to
John Rumm

If the page author wants a sans-serif font then they ought to set that, as you do, by setting sans-serif in the font family. Not just hope that the browser default is sans. I do get a sans font on your homepage BTW.

I was thinking that FP would be dumped in favour of Notepad and a little PHP or ASP.

My Mozzilla looks just like your Firefox, no surprise there. B-) I'm confused about the LH buttons though they look the same in Mozilla, Firefox or IE6.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The author may not be that bothered ;-) If the reader wants sans-serif when the page author has not elected to specify, then he knows what to do!

Perhaps a little far in the other direction. Dreamweaver would probably be a more realistic middle ground.

Tis because FP has rendered them all as graphics and stuck em in .gif files. e.g:

thing is that it gets the font scaling right on the graphic version)

Reply to
John Rumm

True enough but if they go to the extent of specifying a font they ought to ensure that the fall back is of the same class (serif, sans-serif, fixed width, proportional etc).

Personally a web page creation system should only allow the generic variations of style and size etc rather than lull the unsuspecting into thinking that their carefully crafted page using font X will look the same as they see it on all systems.

Or maybe Mozzilla Composer, until I started doing more PHP stuff I found that generated decent code with a nice WYSIWYG interface and abilty to edit the code directly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice