Completely OT: Numbers on a die

How many people DON'T know that the numbers on opposite sides of a dice add up to 7?

I'd always thought 'every schoolboy knows that' but apparently not.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dunno

Reply to
Andy Burns

(you got the Subject: correct but spoiled it in the main text....'dice'???)

Reply to
Bob Eager

But in the past it wasn't always thus.

Every possible combination has been found in digs.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

As in archaeological or student accommodation?

Mind you, thinking about it...probably both ;-)

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

And this one, but then you don't need a die or dice to use a gameboy or playstation.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

Well yes, its just one of those things you ... know

Reply to
geoff

Which, among many other things, many people *don't* know, which can be seen if one is a follower of quiz shows. "Surely *everybody* knows that?" Apparently not.

Reply to
Huge

Even though Dave marked his posting OT, the correct term might have put the other meaning in mind.

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Assuming you are playing with D6 (cubical) dice of course.

Reply to
OG

I have dice where that isn't true, as will anyone else who played Dungeons and Dragons with pencil and paper. Of course, for the six sided dice I have, it is true.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I've 'always' known that, but then I too have been interested in magic tricks etc. from an early age. It's a bit of knowledge that goes with that territory for one.

J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Whih seeing as how most dice have the numbers drilled into them, would slightly favour throwing a six..over a one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was talking normal dice. I do have a 'force' die that has no number 2, both opposite faces show a 5.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

messagenews:_UnBk.60878$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.virginmedia.com...> How many people DON'T know that the numbers on opposite sides of a dice

If you assume that the number of spots on opposite faces should add up to 7, then there are two possible arrangements of the spots on cubical dice, and those two arrangements are mirror images of each other.

More fun can be had with other dice.

Sicherman dice (

) "have the same odds for throwing every number as a normal pair of 6- sided dice", but are numbered completely differently.

Efron's dice (

) are called 'nontransitive dice. "A set of four nontransitive dice such that the probabilities of A winning against B, B against C, C against D, and D against A are all 2:1"

There are other patterns that have the same properties as Efron's dice. They allow a scam in which you can freely choose any die from a selection offered to you and the scam artist simply chooses another which will tend to win against you. Most people don't believe that non- transitive dice are possible.

Cheers,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

How many people DON'T know how to erect flat pack furniture that comes with the instructions but instead have to pay you to do it?

Never assume that a thought is a fact, but always assume a fact is a thought.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

To a D&D player, an octahedron or icosahedron die is a normal die.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Thanks for that Sid, very interesting.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've never played Colin so I wouldn't know. Would you accept 'regular' die or 'common' die :-)

BTW these people have the largest selection of die/dice I've ever seen;

The Medway Handyman