Completely OT: Directory of mobile phone numbers.

This may be old news to some, but just in case... I got what I thought was one of the circular spam mails claiming that next week there will be a directory of mobile phone numbers launched and that people had to opt out PDQ should they want to. Did some checking on it and found (not least on BBC 4's site) that it appears to be true.

Don't know about you, but I like the peace of not having a landline and so not getting disturbed by fatuous idiots, I also screen any calls on my mobile before answering, but I don't really want it going off with monotonous regularity - only the chosen few get my number and that's how I like it.

Reply to
Lino expert

Unfortunately Directory Enquiries is not needed in order to make cold canvassing calls - just a machine that dials patterns of numbers.

Reply to
John

If you don't want to be included go here and follow the Ex-directory link at the top.

phone will be sent a code which you enter into the webpage to get your number unlisted.

HTH Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Good call, I should have included that. You can also text the letter "E" from the phone you want to be ex- directory to 118800 and you get a confirmation text back to say it's been removed.

Reply to
Lino expert

As in 'many are cooled, but few are frozen?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What can I tell ya...I'm discerning.

Reply to
Lino expert

"Apologies. Our website is currently unavailable as we carry out essential maintenance. However it will be available again tomorrow and you will be able to use any security code you have received to complete your ex-directory request. Please do not call 118000 for ex directory requests as you will be asked to visit our website tomorrow. . Thanks for your patience"

Different Andy C

Reply to
Andy Champ

I would like to know how they actually get their data, as I have not given my consent fro my mobile provider to share my details with anyone!

The cynic in me thinks it comes from the people to unsubscribe...

Anyway, they don't actually give your number out to anyone anyway

From their site...

When someone is searching for me on 118800.co.uk, can they see any information about me?

No. All searches on 118800.co.uk are via our secure application that doesn?t show mobile numbers or names and addresses of individuals. Neither do we give prompts that could disclose personal information. We simply say whether we?ve found the individual and, if we have, we forward the enquirer's contact details.

When someone tries to get in touch with me by making a call to 118800, can anyone see my mobile number?

No. Our unique call connection procedure prevents it. Calls to people in our directory are made by us. The dialling is done securely by our system to keep your number safe - even our operators never see the mobile numbers of people in the directory. They are simply informed by our computer system that a connection is available.

Reply to
Toby

Whilst that no doubt happens with unscrupulous spammers, I doubt it's the case here. There brief BBC report here...

they're obtained from companies, market research firms and list brokers.

If you don't mind being on another datebase along with the messages, then don't opt out. I was simply giving you the choice.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Wouldn't this come under the data protection act?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting. I can read the names and addresses, and numbers, off that DQ microfiche towards the end of the film.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Suspicious me:

So in essence, a spam email arrives asking you to type in your full name and mobile number and then send a text message to special number using a code that is texted to you. In their FAQ they say this is the same process that is used to charge you =A31 for using the system when/ if you do.

Do they charge =A31 for removing you?

Do they remove you?

if so, why do they need to know your name not just the number? Harvesting?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

There was NO spam email. I removed my number as a result of the BBC news item. I did not enter my name.

You *may* be right, but I suspect there would be quite an outcry if those who had opted out, still received SMS messages, offering them calls.

There's being cautious and suffering from paranoia, but of course you have the option to do nothing.

Reply to
Andy Cap

There is NO e-mail .You enter your mobile number on the website and you get a text showing a number .You go back to the website and enter that number and that is ALL you do .( the site is presently on downtime) Stuart

-- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

I don't see any major problem with this system. They are not going to be giving out numbers, instead you'll have to call, give someones name and address and (for a fee) they'll connect you. You're not going to get cold callers spending money to try and advertise to you, it's too much of their time and money.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker