Completely OT: Cunning Linguists

There is a series of commercials for Borsin cheese on TV at the moment.

The ad is filmed from the viewpoint of someone riding a bicycle with a handlebar basket containing a French stick, a bottle of wine & some Borsin.

The tag line at the end is always "Du pain, du vin, du Borsin". Which makes sense to me. With my limited understanding of the French language 'Du' means 'some' as long as the noun is masculine and the quantity is vague.

The opening line shows a seemingly innocent scene with voice over saying things like "Du loveless marriage" or "Du harlot" or "Du crime scene" etc.

Is there another meaning for 'Du'?

Where would we be without rules?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sorry, Boursin.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Of

Reply to
ransley

Try here

Select the languages you need from the drop down menu.

Reply to
BigWallop

Du is a contraction of de le and that can be either a preposition (from, to, in, of, by) or a partitive article (some). Overall, there are probably nearly 20 different meanings of de in the singular, although at this time of night, I can't be sure that all would properly contract to de le.

Estimating lengths

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

German for familiar 'you'. :-)

Crap adverts. After seeing what a pathetic 'joke' one was making, I ignore to the best of my ability.

Reply to
Rod

Err, the language in the ads is French.......

Reply to
The Wanderer

Of loveless marriage, of harlot, of crime scene? Makes no sense?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Nah! 'Off' (surely it was a typo :-) ) - that's where we would be without the various mentioned items. Lovelss marriage? Off to find some love. Crime scene? Off to find something imteresting to film/watch. Harlot? Off to the pox clinc.

Ummm, or do I see a theory breaking down before my eyes... :-(

Reply to
Rod

Sorry, did I forget the smiley? :-)

Is "Du loveless marriage" *really* French? :-)

Reply to
Rod

"Du" does indeed mean "some" - I think it's just picking up on the word being repeated in the tag line of the ad. It's fairly pants, but then it beats that one for whatever-it-is that has that tacky music that they plonk in the middle of something a bit classy like Poirot.

Reply to
Lino expert

I'm sure it's no less French that "le weekend", "le fortnight" plus a few more I can think of!

Reply to
Fred

Cela aurait pu être vrai. Mais il ne l'est pas! [1]

I searched the .fr domain - and the only occurrences of "loveless marriage" were within English text.

"Crime scene" is more difficult since CSI! Not at all sure.

But I'll give you "harlot", so to speak.

[1] That might have been true. But it isn't. (Thanks Google. Or blame Google if it doesn't make sense to anyone who really knows French.)
Reply to
Rod

Donnez moi franglaise any temps.

Reply to
Lino expert

I love this advert, it always makes me smile, I particularly like the farmer, his wife and scarecrow. A bit ot of the ot I thought the recent program on adverts was an eye opener, if you did not realise before it showed what a con most ads are.

Reply to
Broadback

I think it's used in a way we would say A bread, A wine and A piece of cheese. Boursin being a branded name for a cheese maker. By a Frenchman. Who called his cheese "Boursin." Boursin being a surname in the French language.

BigWallop

It is supposed to be set in France but one infrequently shown 'effort' shows the bicycle following a tractor with an English (Hampshire) registration plate

I agree that the ads are poor and this shows how poor

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Am I the only one to read the title of this thread as "Cunny Linguists" ??? Dave

Reply to
Dave

No

Reply to