Completely OT: Broadband

Not any more it doesnt. I have just had an email from Nominet rapping me over the knuckles. Shouldnt have put my head above the parapet should I

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

When it comes down to it .. assuming you don't have cable and you are not in Kingston-u-Hull you will be using BT to provide a copper wire between you & the exchange. You pay rental to BT for that line. You can buy an internet service from anybody who takes part in local loop unbundling in your area and will provide an ISP serive over BT's wires.

You can buy a bare bone BT services and stay with your Web hosting compnay .... or Google about and find someoneelse.

The difficulties arise when there are faults ... BT will test line and line only ... if they are providing broadband service then BT will take next step and resolve issues .... if your IS is not BT you can end up in a lack of ownership - each saying their part is fine.

I have BT business Braodband and have had this since the day it became avaialble .... it is reliable, and good value for money ..... I would prefr SDSL, but not an option at present.

So the answer is chose who you want ... if price difference is not great, then BT is worthwhile ... if big saving, use an alternative ISP ... and accept service could be an issue if it is needed - for non-business use, may be acceptable to you.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

ah. Look forward to a mountain of Spam then. People trawl that ruddy database looking for people to send junkmail to and junk email to.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Following up to Anna Kettle

can I clarify, are you saying you cannot withhold your address?

Not if you are trading, i.e. business use.

Reply to
Bill Taylor

Depends:

Anna is using the doamin name for trade, she can't opt out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Local loop unbundling is not needed just because you want service from someone other than BT. You might have meant that, but it wasn't clear...

That happens even within BT, as the phone and ISP are two different bodies.

The trick is to get an ISP who is proactive and refuses to accept lies from BT....!

I have a BT business phone line, and they are unbelievably useless....! I wouldn't touch BT with a barge pole for Internet access, but I know others have different experiences; I'm just saying they are not perfect.

Or pay slightly more for an independent ISP and get greatly improved service....if you pick wisely. Namesco sound fine for Anna.

Reply to
Bob Eager