Completely OT - bedtime for children

Possibly in older versions of word too - these days (2003 on...) they get compressed quite well (png internally?), so it's an effective way to get screenshots off not-terribly-computer-literate people these days.

Reply to
Clive George

Not in mine a year later, but AO had some.

Reply to
Clive George

*applause*
Reply to
Huge

So you want them to not use an internationally approved open standard format and use an old closed standard?

You could get software that actually works with the documented standard rather than stuff that's bodged to work with the some (majority?) of an unpublished file format.

Reply to
dennis

Oh I forgot to mention that office 2007 and 2010 don't have an option to write office 95 formats. Your email will need to be a bit more than 5 mins to explain how to write those office 95 formats.

Reply to
dennis

I've not had any noticeable problems opening any .doc. .xls or .ppt file in Office 97. For some of them I had to download a free compatibility fix, but it's still Office 97. If it'll open in Office '97 it'll open in any later version.

Open Office in Linux will open, edit and re-save any pre-.docx standard file I've come across, though some of the more complex Excel macros are a bit tricky.. Libre Office 3.3 is even more capable, opening .docx etc. and Microsloshed Works files, too. You'll have noted that I didn't say that the M$ Office suite is a good standard, just that the document format is as close to being universally readable as almost anything apart from ascii text.

So you always send stuff out in .pdf format?

Pdf's not editable without the right software, which most people don't have. Office 2007 and later can create and edit .pdfs, I've been told, as can Open Office, but they can also create files compatible with every version of Office with the same amount of user effort.

For guaranteed 100% compatibility with all users, print it out and mail it. Even blind recipients will have methods in place for dealing with it.

Reply to
John Williamson

Eye thang yew.

There were several off-the-wall teachers at my old school. One of them imparted his interest in Chemistry to me mostly because he liked to make things explode and he was really good at explaining reaction mechanisms and quantum chemistry. The geology teacher was insane in a scary way and would brandish a table leg with nails sticking out at unruly children and slam it down on the desk lids chipping out great splinters of wood.

I met him a few years later in the pub and he looked (a) a lot younger and (b) much more sane.

Scariest of the lot was the art teacher who drove an Aston DB6, never worked out how he did that on a teachers salary. Last seen eloping with a 16yo girl who reputedly had posed naked for him for several years.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I was being facetious. I worked in tech publishing for a long time before the City lured me away and I'm well aware of the zillions of document formats out there. What I'm objecting to is the "Oh, just use MS" attitude.

Yes.

Reply to
Huge

Our elopee was one of the PE teachers.

Reply to
Huge

Our art teacher was scary too. Used to throw board rubbers *at* people, not near them. At least one boy went to hospital. He also reputedly dangled one out of the window - knowing him I can well believe it. His nickname was 'Killer' - and plenty of people remembered him at a reunion last year.

Used to pick on me in reverse favouritism (I think) as he knew my dad well. Actually, knowing my dad, he probably put him up to it...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sounds like a combination of two of ours "Killer" Hall, who was female and quite the nastiest person I have ever encountered and an English teacher who, by repute, could give a shave and short back and sides by throwing a board rubber at someone. Same teacher taught both of my parents, and they told me that for years a window in the school had a cardboard patch over the hole that the teacher made when he threw a board rubber at a kid, narrowly missed him and the rubber continued on through the window.

His aim had improved by the time I went to school, lots of practice.

Does every school have a "Killer"?

I paid a visit to the old place last year, with my wife. She thought the school was charming. I found it had shrunk a lot.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Endemic in industry, I'm afraid.

People and companies can't/ don't want/ can't afford the training to step out of line and companies are afraid to use non-M$ software, because they'd have to train every new recruit almost from scratch. Students may learn the open stuff, but they'll also learn the M$ stuff, otherwise they'll have a *lot* of trouble finding a job.

Okay, so long as I don't need to edit it and send it back to you.

Reply to
John Williamson

How easy/cheap is the RAM upgrade to 2 gig?

I keep wanting a mac but can't justify the silly price they charge. Plus Apple make MS look like saints! :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

But it's not that simple - plenty of staff won't understand that and will need it explaining to them in great detail.

Including teaching the students how to use MS Office? Which is what they'll be using in the real world. you'd also be restricted in teaching materials, books etc since the vast majority are based on MS Office. Add on the costs of retraining staff and the question would become "why are they wasting money and time teaching kids to use software nobody else uses"

Linux doesn't do everything you want, or you wouldn't be having these problems.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Well that's an intelligent, well reasoned argument isn't it.

So all the staff know how to do this without training do they?

If you're obsessed with sucking c*ck you'd be best keeping it to a relevant group - it's not on topic here.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

If almost everyone uses it, arguments about it not being a real standard seem pointless.

Are you seriously telling me that all staff would understand that? For people who just use computers it's not that clear there are different file formate at all.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

It was free, and I have more than enough screen space :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

I meant the person getting the PDF is very limited in what they can do editing it for free.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

I had a teacher who claimed to be an ex wrestler. And he had the right build for it. He was best known for telling anyone knocking on his door to f& ck off. And they always did too!

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

God I'm feeling young reading this thread :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan