Completely OT - bedtime for children

I'm sure the vast majority of it could be sent as a simple text file or as the body of a plain text email. We certainly get school newsletters as MS doc files attached to an email and greater than 95% of them contain nothing but plain text.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yep.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I thought it was about reading and writing, and making things out of balsa wood.

I never bothered with the social skills, myself.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Because that's how it worked in DOS, probably.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Even better.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I got landed with a Mac running Kanjitalk once.

That was fun ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

... but usually formatted in MS-specific Comic Sans

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Coor, sounds delicious. Was there skin on the custard as well? The skin is the best bit, my sisters and I used to fight over the skin...

I know the feeling about being the "family cook". The Lad eats what he eats and nothing else, fortunately what he does eat is more or less balanced and healthy but when out and about it's a nightmare. No.1 Daughter will try anythng once but the normal answer to "What would you like for dinner?" is "I donno". We do stick to the eat what's in front of you, there is nothing else unless it's clear she

*really* doesn't like it. In which case she goes hungry...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I didn't do calculus until A level, '77/78. Even then I could only use it if there was a "real world" problem to solve like the stress in an evenly loaded beam or the volume of a curved vessel. Just "playing with the numbers" left me cold.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That would probably have been my situation as well, but we had the option of doing English and Maths O-levels a year early, which meant we did Additional Maths O-level in the Fifth Form and that had a large calculus component.

Sixth Form for me was two Maths and Physics, and then between finishing the Maths A-level courses and actually doing the exams there was the possibility of doing extra Maths for University Entrance or something. I started that (stuff like determinants, matrices, complex numbers) but there was too much homework so I dropped out. Shame really as all that stuff would have been very useful at Uni. This was in the mid-60s. It also struck me how much harder Uni was than A-level. About ten times harder, it felt like. A-level had felt quite easy so Uni was rather a shock, I can tell you.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It was in the O level syllabus ten years before that.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

More interestingly, someone else can delete the file while you work on it if they are in the same group. You do find out eventually, just make sure you chmod the file if your work is important on a multiuser linux machine.

Reply to
dennis

I did it age 10.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Tim Watts writes

what is it with the pink custard? no where else seems to serve up pink custard. There must be factories just making the stuff especially for school.

Reply to
chris French

twas still in my O'level in 1971

Reply to
djc

I haven't seen a unix machine with such a default umask as to allow group- write ever. The only time this is likely to apply is in specifically shared work areas.

And how is deleting a file while you work on it in any way worse than deleting it after it is closed?

If you delete the wrong file you are a pillock or just unlucky - I fail to see the relevance of the OS locking the file whilst an app has it open.

In fact deleting an open file is highly advantageous for temporary files - it means no one else can access them.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Better, set the umask properly to start with.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Quite right. I've been using that technique for 35 years! Create file somewhere on the 'right' file system, then unlink it. Automatic deletion no matter how the program exits.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Because you don't know all your work disappears as soon as you close the file.

You certainly need file locks if you are using NFS. Nothing worse than having two people (or applications) open the same file and then end up with a file that has bits of each ones edits in it. If its a system file the whole system/application may become unbootable/unusable. Shame that NFS is really bad at file locking. ;-)

That is probably the best thing that can be said for doing it the unix way. Unless you know better.

Reply to
dennis

It's no worse than closing the file and having it deleted 5 minutes later.

That is an amazing line of logic. If your root users are deleting random files, time to disable their root access! Or make them fix the system...

You will also find that there are many key files that are not held open - eg grub stage binaries, kernel image, initial ramdisk, fstab...

NFS locking works fine and has done for years now - it is an advisory locking scheme only, same as local POSIX locking.

Reply to
Tim Watts