Completely OT - bedtime for children

There are some really bad nursing homes about if you want to get your own back!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

John

"News" wrote

My 2c

Your timing is about right, but one key recommendation:

Do not allow any electronic entertainment (fixed or portable) in the bedroom. iPods, XBoxes, TVs, DSs, Phones with games/gadgets etc. Unlike a book, these will keep stimulating the child's senses and preventing sleep IME.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Might be a problem by the time work comes along for them, though. Or much else in the outside world. Being trained that getting up on time isn't important could be a mistake.

Unless they have very special needs, I'd think it not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite.

A couple of years ago I threw out my ancient clock radio that I used to bore me to sleep since the eighties.

I successfuly decided that things in me head were boring enough, and that the wild dreams and worries inspired by late night talk show hosts on London's LBC Radio didn't leave me refreshed enough the following morning.

Reply to
Adrian C

Try the shipping forecast on R4. Guaranteed to send you off. Or a meditation type CD. Trouble is something like that can get you off to sleep but not wake you in the morning. So you might need two independent systems. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Telephones in hallways (well just one telephone per house and that was a rented telephone!) and telephone tables. What memories.

And what is the prize your parents deprived you of?

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

Getting to sleep is no problem - staying asleep beyond 5:30 am is! No this is not linked to the light mornings.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I thought that you were training the kids to use power tools in an evening to help with the bungalow refurb?

Is "homework" a code word for shed building and practical instructions on the use of an angle grinder?:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I reckon it's a skill you develop when you need to. I don't see it needing years of training.

Though I doubt she will ever like it, both her parents are night owls. Anyway there is a difference between not needing to get up at a certain time every day, and knowing that it important to get up on time. when we are doing things that need us to be up and out in the morning by a certain time (which is probably 2-3 times a week on average I guess) then they are and reading in time.

not really a dbate for here anyway.

Reply to
chris French

In message , John writes

Yes, indeed. I discovered 'The Pirates', and listened to Radio London (Mark Roman) until the station closed down at 9pm, after which either Caroline, or Luxemburg, fading in and out. Many is the time I awoke the following morning, with the radio still on, hissing quietly.

This obviously caused you severe psychological damage :-)

Reply to
News

In message , TheScullster writes

Thanks Phil. Yes, I agree one hundred per cent. He has access to computer, Xbox etc. outside his bedroom up until bedtime, but, in bed, only books are permitted. Luckily, he is an avid reader, so that does not present a problem. Just discovered Michael Morpogo, who makes a change from Horrid Henry.

Reply to
News

I remember going on holiday to Clacton, and being driven out to Frinton beach, sitting in the car listening to the actual Radio London closedown.

Reply to
Bob Eager

We do have a computer in the boys' bedroom, but their login only has normal user rights and is set to only allow access up to 19:00. After that they can turn it on, but they can't do anything with it.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I used to live in Clacton - someone has to!

We were on holiday on that fateful day - Monday August 14th, 1967. I was 15, and clearly remember sitting on the pier at Hunstanton, clutching my father's transistor radio, listening to 'Their Final Hour'. Yes, sad, I know :-)

Reply to
News

I prefer to keep computers in "public" areas of the house so we can keep a half an eye on what they are doing.

[My youngest son has also recently graduated away from Horrid Henry ;-)]
Reply to
Mark

well, it would be d-i-y schooling

Owain

Reply to
Owain

So would I, but with three kids all wanting to use the computers at the same time and only one, through, living room, I think my wife might object in turning into an I.T. centre! We therefore have to rely on software and popping round the door.

At the moment they are young enough to live with very tight restrictions on what they can access, but as they grow older and need more access for homework, etc. we will have to rethink things.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Welcome to the 21st Century ;-)

We have a kind of rota and two computers for the 3 kids to share. It mostly works OK. The younger ones have less need of computers for homework than the older ones so it is getting less easy as time goes on.

I haven't found any substitute for parental supervision. I keep meaning to set up my own filter, but lack the round tuits.

Reply to
Mark

We have one computer (for the kids), two kids and "tokens".

Tokens for a fixed period of 30 minutes each. Maximum of eight tokens per day. (4 hrs) Tokens only valid between 0630 and 2130 each day. Home work on the computer uses tokens. Home work to be done before any computer use. Tokens do not have to be used. Unused Tokens give no right to computer use. Unused Tokens are not carried forward.

If one child is on the computer the other can put a token in "the queue" and the first *has* to log off when their token exipres. Mechanical (ie ticking) kitchen timer keeps an eye on the 30 min periods. Woe betide them if they are on the computer without the timer running... Tokens can be taken away for bad behaviour and need to be earnt back.

The system generally works well and was brought with in to reduce arguments about computer use, make computer use "fair" and limit the amount of time they spent on the computer. We all sat down together, talked about it and agreed it, they were 12 and 9 at the time. Two years on it is still working fairly well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice