Competent person?

Page 4 of 4

Of course, all harmonisation within Europe *is a bad thing* ;-)
--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:41:54 +0100, "Andy Wade"

No not German, just incompetent.
Paul Mc Cann
Paul Mc Cann wrote:

The germans have nothing on the italians and russians.....both are lethal when it comes to wiring plugs, as I discovered PAT testing at work, its a uni and the worst offeneders are either studying for phds, have phds or have prof status! Though the way the labs are wired at home probably doesn't help.
snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net wrote:

A polish guy who in other respects was a competant chippy I caught having wired a _large_ skill saw directly into the _back_ of a 13A double sockets.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Are you sure he didn't have a PhD
--
geoff

Hmm. A nurse may give an injection without really understanding the mechanism whereby the drug works. The important thing is to know how to give the injection safely, and to check the dose against instructions.
Much of the more simple electrical tasks round the house fall into this camp - follow the rules and you'll be ok. Of course, if you're working on an already faulty installation, good workmanship by you won't cure it.
--
*How about "never"? Is "never" good for you?

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:39:37 +0100, Dave Plowman wrote:

Not altogether a good comparison. An electrician may not understand the physics of electricity, but he will - should - have enough knowledge to do the job safely, and even more important, to understand the implications of doing things wrongly.

You need to differentiate between simple tasks that the householder can do - those are 'follow the rules' - and alterations to the electrical installation that the competent DIYer can tackle.

I'd hope a nurse doing an injection would too.
--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered.*

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:42:22 +0100, Dave Plowman wrote:

I rather think you've made my point very succinctly.

My understanding is that the competent person will have to be a member of a registered competent persons scheme from April 2004. The only such scheme is NICEIC, which is done on a company wide basis and requires the company to have operated for at least 1 year. Obviously, as they will need to be registered to operate, new companies are effectively banned.
Christian.

is
From the posters I've seen in our wholesalers NIKKY seem to be offering special "deals" at the moment to bring the lost sheep into the fold! Can't see it hurting my back pocket though - our company's been on the bandwagon for years and, as has been said, their membership covers all us hairy a*ses so come the glorious day we'll all be able to put our snouts in the trough with the plumbers -Woohoo! Even got my own pad of certificates ;-) The way these clowns in power (no pun intended) want to nanny everyone is starting to wear a bit thin - if the number of fatalities per year is the reason for banning diy electric work then surely they should be banning cigarettes, cars, alcohol and breasts as they all account for many, many more deaths than bodged sockets? Rant mode put on the back burner, Richard
"Frisket" wrote | From the posters I've seen in our wholesalers NIKKY seem to be offering | special "deals" at the moment to bring the lost sheep into the fold! Can't | see it hurting my back pocket though - our company's been on the bandwagon | for years and, as has been said, their membership covers all us hairy a*ses | so come the glorious day we'll all be able to put our snouts in the trough | with the plumbers -Woohoo! Even got my own pad of certificates ;-)
However (if I understand you correctly) this is your *employer* who's in the scheme. When the legislation comes into force you won't be able to leave and start up self-employed. The legislation restricts not just the consumer, but also the workman who in future will only be able to work for a more restricted number of employers. A restricted number of larger employers who may be more ruthless when it comes to hire-and-fire.
This will hardly be an encouragement to people to obtain C&Gs, so there will be an increasing shortage of qualified electricians and, as the legislation does not require qualified operatives (unlike gas where individual qualification *plus* Corgi recognition is needed), probably greater use of unqualified temporary staff on jobs. I don't see this as leading to better workmanship or safety.
In fact, if one or two companies start taking over smaller firms aggressively it could lead to something similar to the alarm industry where almost everything is now owned by ADT.
| The way these clowns in power (no pun intended) want to nanny everyone is | starting to wear a bit thin - if the number of fatalities per year is the | reason for banning diy electric work then surely they should be banning | cigarettes, cars, alcohol and breasts
? I don't wanna ask but ...
Owain
"Frisket" wrote | "Owain" | > | banning ... breasts | > ? I don't wanna ask but ... | Sorry Owain, the upcoming regulations have wound me up more than a | little and the rant was fuelled by several cans of Boddingtons canned | draught. I'd just finished reading that something like 30000 women | would die of breast cancer in the uk next year and with their muddled | thinking surely banning breasts would be a logical step?
I thought you were going to come up with some RoSPA statistics for injuries/fatalities suffered by the wolf-whistling classes being distracted by a passing ample dcolletage and falling off ladders as a result.
Owain