Competent person?

Page 3 of 4

One form of DIY brain surgery is called trepanning, or trephining, and was used as a treatment for severe intractable depression, long long ago. Apparently it was quite successful. However, due to the delicate nature of things, I think I would avoid power tools on such a job. :)
Regards, NT

I once read a book called "A geological survey of the brain" which showed a picture of a surgeon drilling the skull to relieve pressure. The thought of the patient still being awake while this was happening, really put me off wanting to become a doctor.
I wonder how Id've got on being called BigWallop in the medical profession.
:-))
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

the patient and then apply the appropriate bermps to the head.
Try it on the dipswitch dipstick.
mike r
snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

in them that show healing (so the patient survived). We have ancient Egyptian skulls where the top of the skull was removed, something done (probably relieving pressure, dealing with bleeding), put back and the wound healed.
BTW this can be done while the patient is awake, under local anaesthetic.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

<tourist info on> Anyone who wants to see some evidence of this should go to the crypt of St Leonard's Church in Hythe, Kent. In here you will find a huge pile of skulls and femurs dating from pre-Norman times. Nobody seems to know why they are there but you will see some that have been trepanned (and survived!), some skulls form midgets and other oddities. Well worth a visit if you are in the area. </tourist info off>
Cheers
Mark Spice

Do you know what anaesthetic technology there was back then? Presumably the technique of getting so drunk the person passed into oblivion was well known, and I would think was workable. Were there any better methods?
If head cuts healed, presumably they must have used antiseptics too? I cant imagine the uv in sunlight being sufficient. Perhaps just lots of boiled water??
Regards, NT
snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote:

Hear Hear. Another voice of sanity in here. Now how do we teach the lawmakers and pressure groups ?
Steve
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:22:20 +0000, Steve

Via the ballot box......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I fear that is the only way.
Those who have been taking an active interest in this subject will be aware that I have been writing to my MP about these new regs. Herewith the final part of the saga.....
Last week I spent several hours researching the accident statistics relating to electricity, as published on the RoSPA web site. I then wrote a detailed and reasoned response to my MP, with questions about where Nick Raynsford (the minister in charge) was getting his figures from - Raynsford seemed to be justifying the new legislation in terms of the number of lives saved, and I pointed out that it was curious that the government were bringing in legislation to save more lives than were being lost each year. I wanted to obtain copies of what Raynsford was basing his decisions on.
I just got the reply back from my MP yesterday morning. It states "we are not going to change the ministers mind on this subject so I am not going to pursue it any further".
My MP, Andrew MacKay of the Bracknell constituency, has seen his majority fall from over 10,000 to 5,000 at the last election. And with the reply he's just given me about these new regs there's a good chance it will plummet to at least 4,999 in the next election. I feel he's just washed his hands of the affair, and I'm definitely up for changing my MP to someone who cares a tad more about his constituents.
PoP

Given that Andrew Mackay is a Conservative, and the legislation is being introduced by Labour - who do we vote for if we feel strongly on this issue?
James
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:13:39 +0100, "James"

I shall be reviewing who the 2nd most favoured candidate was in recent general elections.
It doesn't help my current MP that the democracy boundaries have (or are) been redrawn. Apparently our section of Bracknell is going to be lumped in with Windsor. Same sort of thing taking place in Wokingham where I was led to believe that parts of Wokingham (John Redwood) are going to be lumped into Newbury.
PoP
James wrote:

I'm confidently expecting the non-voters to stay at home in force next time. This means the result that actually gets counted is more sensitive to noise this makes for a less predictable result.
As for the original topic - I'll probably end up ignoring the law until the general public have caught up with the game (around 5 years+). The problem for me is that a lot of boilers are fitted in kitchens so theoretically their supplies and controls are subject to the new laws.
I note that there is a 'lite' version of NICEIC that covers just CH controls.
However I still need it for the other work I do. 8-(.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
"James" wrote | "PoP" wrote | > My MP, Andrew MacKay of the Bracknell constituency, has seen his | > majority fall from over 10,000 to 5,000 at the last election. And with | > the reply he's just given me about these new regs there's a good | > chance it will plummet to at least 4,999 in the next election. I feel | > he's just washed his hands of the affair, and I'm definitely up for | > changing my MP to someone who cares a tad more about his constituents.
It seems that the purpose of an MP has become to represent the Government in the constituency rather than vice versa.
| Given that Andrew Mackay is a Conservative, and the legislation is being | introduced by Labour - who do we vote for if we feel strongly on this issue?
One can see why minority and extreme parties gain support where the electoral system allows.
Owain

Getting the government "off your back and on your side" didn't last long did it?
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser

It makes no difference. No matter who you vote for, the Government gets in.

That has the appearance of perhaps flying in the face of evolution and natural selection. Are we expert enough to be sure that's the right way to go? Just asking because I don't know enough to say for sure and I'm interested to know how come anyone else could be. Could evolution be "cooked" as a result?
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

geoff

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:41:15 +0100, Dave Plowman

I have a brother-in-law, with an honours degree in physics, who once wired the live wire to the earth terminal in a 3 pin plug.
Paul Mc Cann

This is about the most common safety issue with electrics. And the new laws will do *nothing* about it, as they don't cover portable appliance wiring - ie plugs.
Did you ever find out just why he did this? Perhaps he's colour blind and was using old flex where the red and green were easily confused.
--
*The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in school was my blood alcohol content*

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message

Or maybe he was German? (Prior to the grn/ylw harmonisation Germany used red as the earth colour.)
--
Andy