Compatibility of adhesives/fillers with PVC cable.

Is there any reason not to use (a) adhesives with 'nails' in their names and (b) expanding foam in contact with PVC mains cables?

I have a bundle of cables (all correctly derated, before you ask!) that need to be chased into a wall, but the brick is so crumbly, I can't install cable clips, as the brick disintegrates at the thought of a drill bit, let alone a cable clip nail. I just want to glue, squirty fill and plaster over the top of the channel.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Use solvent free ones, they are water based and won't attack the PVC. Solvent based ones may or may not attack the PVC - all depends on the solvent.

Ployurethane foam can have a detrimental effect, because it can leach platiciser from the PVC, causing it to become brittle. Best avoided.

I had some very similar situations. In some places I used solvent free no-nails, then filled with onecoat before plastering. In other places I used hot-melt glue, which gives more control over where the cable goes than no-nails because it sets in seconds, so you can hold the cable in place until the glue sets.

Reply to
Grunff

Why not just plaster them in with dry wall adhesive plaster. Mixed quite thickly it's stickyness holds cables more than well enough whilst it dries.

Reply to
G&M

It really needs to held more tightly, I think. The cable wants to ping out of the wall, so I think I need something to hold it in whilst I plaster.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Now why didn't I think of that!