compacting MOT - small area

I have some small areas of MOT to compact for a floor slab. Not really suitable for a plate compactor to due to working around drainage, etc. in the fairly small space. What is the best way to do the job then ? Can you hire some type of pounder device ? Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You could hire (or even make) a punner. We discussed punners on here only recently.

"punner hire" and you will get thousands of results.

Reply to
Bruce

I usually use a 3' length of 4x2 and a sledge hammer - stand on the plank and drop the hammer repeatedly onto it, moving the plank from time to time.

You could probably do the same with an "elephant's foot" compactor - basically a pole with a wide flat metal lump on the end.

Reply to
John Rumm

A hand tamper (about £18-00 from B&Q, Wickes) will be very adequate if a bit tedious. If you've got an 'Acrow' prop lying around one half of this will do pretty well.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero