Community Defibrillator provision

I am not a doctor but I suppose that CPR restores some pumping action but prolly not enough to make the body tick as it ought, or is it the heart muscle and brain cells are dying off in the not working properly condition?...

I expect he was after some compensation money if the truth be known...

Reply to
tony sayer

Not a doctor either but I think most of the body, at it's operating temperature, can last "a while" (up to hours) without oxygen. It's the brain that doesn't like lack of oxygen, damage of some sort occuring in a few tens of seconds and brain death in a matter of minutes.

Rapidly chilling the whole body extends this period, which is why people can survice falling through ice into water just above freezing and be pulled out not breathing and without a pulse quite sometime after entering.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

CPR provides enough blood flow to keep the brain alive.

Reply to
Huge

Well, I'm not a doctor, but I used to be a biochemist. Does that count?

Not so much "people" as small children/skinny people with high surface area to volume ratios. They cool down much faster than bloaters like me whose core temperatures stay high enough, long enough, for damage to occur before the temperature falls enough to protect them.

Reply to
Huge

Maybe they should be owned by the nhs, funded by the community, and part of that is insurance for the user. If they are really so sure one could not be used to harm, they are the ones who need to put their necks on the block if they are so sure. I've seen demos on the telly that indeed appear to show that most stupid things done are spotted by the machine, but obviously malfunctioning of a device is always a risk. There is no such thing as a 100 percent safe device. In this scenario, nhs ought to fund servicing and allert the community if its beyond repair and hence donations needed for a new one.

That would be my take on it at any rate. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It probably comes with a HIGH VOLUME control.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Rod,

. The

In the USA, AEDs have been required in many public spaces since 2000, I think. Most States have "good Samaritan " laws which offer substantial protection to volunteers who give first aid. There is also federal law which offers some protection to the AED providers but they are required to maintain and test the AEDS. So far, there have been few suits. If the UK is going to provide AEDs they need to consider similar protections for the providers. Until they do, the providers may wish to be insured.

Good luck, Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

That reminds me of the group of people taking an examination on vehicle repair, where they had to strip, fix and rebuild an engine in a car,

they got upto 100 points for their work,

The regular mechanics got from 80 to 95 point for their work, the bloke who used to be a gynecologist got 99 points for the work, plus another 100 bonus points for doing the entire job through the exhaust pipe :)

Reply to
Gazz

Late in on this thread I know, but I saw one of these whilst on holiday in Norfolk. An old red phone box had been converted to contain one.

It had a key pad and ISTR the emergency services could give a caller the combination to open it.

Sorry if this have already been reported.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Technique is everything. Last time I did it I was going for about an hour - (5 mins doing Mouth to mouth plus chest compression until the paramedics arrived. The rest of the time with ventilator and defib. in place so I was just doing the chest compressions. At the scene for 40 mins, then in the ambulance then into the casualty theatre where a Dr. took over) It was interesting watching the tiny defib screen which showed a normal healthy blood pressure with each compression. - pity he was dead.

John

Reply to
JTM

If you do it the way they aleays do it on TV you wouldn't last that long. You need to transfer your weight onto your arms not push with them.

Maybe he wanted a laugh from a judge?

Reply to
dennis

Well you can tell them that if someone does fall over because they hadn't salted they are liable and will lose if sued.

Reply to
dennis

Yes, good jokes never 'grow old'. I chuckled at that one when I first saw it many years ago and it still raises a smile to my lips whenever I see it repeated.

Reply to
Johny B Good

Trouble is doing proper CPR on a person who doesn't need it is a Bad Thing, broken ribs being only part of the problem. It also depends on the programme, Casualty (when I worked on it) was very careful to get the medical details as correct as possible, no bent arms doing CPR back then. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , JTM scribeth thus

An hour?. Why so long, was this in some remote bit of the UK>..

Reply to
tony sayer

Following the death of a youngster in Merseyside, EVERY primary school in Merseyside now has an AED. There is a general misunderstanding about the chances of young people having a heart attack or a stroke.

But as the song says: Always remember,the longer you live, the sooner you'll bloody well die.

John

Reply to
JTM

Not just A + E staff; the whole medical services have problems

The current criteria for the situation is:

Is the casualty breathing? If the answer is 'No' *or* 'I don't think so' then start CPR and send for an AED + ambulance

Remember - You can't make them worse than dead.

John

Reply to
JTM

Excellent! Where I come from, the first responders are teachers, librarians, mechanic, baker, solicitor . . etc

John

Reply to
JTM

A long time ago; a jockey tried to sue St John Amb. after being left paralysed following an accident when he was moved by the first aider. (arguably a 'fate worse than death') The court listened to the argument and then dismissed the suit as a 'no case to answer'

John

Reply to
JTM

Also FWIW In the situation you describe: If someone has a heart attack you *might* recognise the fact.

But there are many different types of HA and there is a

*chance* that it might be ventricular fibrillation BUT there is a very small 'window of opportunity' where the life may be saved by CPR and the use of an AED while awaiting the arrival of the first responder and paramedics

A long (still ongoing I think) study in Ohio identified this window of opp. as being about 8 mins.

The longer the waiting time before treatment (first aid and professional) the greater the chance of death John

Reply to
JTM