Common furniture glass thickness

How thick is glass for furniture usually? By this I mean for cabinet doors etc. - doesn't have to support any weight.

Reply to
ofn01

3-4mm

Do get toughened if you can.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

2mm, 3mm, 4mm

2mm is picture framing and not everyone carries it all the time.

There's a _lot_ of variation in service between "galss merchants". It's worth hunting around to find a good one. Most of them these days just re-sell DG sealed units from a factory and don't cut any glass on- site.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I had some glass doors made for a shelving unit, and also some glass tops for pine bedroom furniture. I was advised to use 4mm. 15 years on, it still does the job.

The cabinet doors are toughened glass - essential if you have children, and still desirable if you don't.

Reply to
Bruce

May also be essential for insurance purposes ..someone might sue you successfully if they have an accident with it.

Having just reglazed a greenhouse with 3mm agricultural, it's absolutely fragile and totally lethal.

I woud not have it in a house, period.

Amd I am not one noted for elfin safety promotion. I will gaily pour boiling water on caustic soda in a blocked sink.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm surprised at that - all the ones round here do. Much of their work will come from commercial premises where double glazing isn't perhaps the norm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)