Commercial (shop) lighting - recommendations?

Means you can't see you are eating next door's moggie ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Good idea. I've done a similar thing at exhibitions with a laptop showing a 'slideshow' of the exhibitors - moving things are always good.

On a simpler level, one of those battery-powered turntables works well on my market stall, with a chrome mug-tree sitting on top of it, and stained-glass suncatchers hanging from the mug-tree...

The MK II version incorporates a 'lazy susan' beneath the turntable, for those people who grab a rotating item and hang onto it, while the turntable tries to keep turning!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

...switch them every 5 seconds for max attention.

NT

Reply to
NT

:

Copyright issues can be avoided by rephrasing everything.

NT

Reply to
NT

That document is way out of date on LED lighting. Many stores are now switching to LED lighting to save money over fluorecent. However, I didn't suggest it for you because it's a significant capital investment up front, which doesn't fit your constraint. LED lighting will get more efficient and capital costs will drop, making it more viable as time goes on.

If you really must use filamant lamps anywhere, use 12V halogens. However, you won't find filament lamps in any professionally designed store lighting scheme. The spots will be metal halide, 20W upwards, and LED for anything less. The boundary between the two will creep up over time.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

!
Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

>>> which more or less discounts led lighting other than close-up for

Ah - OK

I suspect that there's going to be a big gap between 'what we'd like' and 'what we can afford'. Very early days, yet - and the project's based on a co-operative model, where the shop's running costs are split between the participating members. In return, they are not charged the normal shop / gallery commission on their sales. We need to keep members' initial costs low, to avoid frightening people off!

It's possible that finances will become less 'tight' in future, but, at the moment, it's going to be a matter of installing something that looks reasonable....

It'd be great to be able to throw a couple of K at the lighting - but then we'd be bust before we'd opened!

Does the SEI doc still hold true about the 12v 35w halogens VS the 12v

50w devices ?

So - given our (initially) restricted budget - you'd recommend 12v halogens ?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I first saw that for real in the Isle of Man - the street that runs parallel to Douglas Prom had a glassblower doing his stuff in the shopfront - fascinating, and it wasn't just me as a lad found it so; the people stopping for a gander were of all ages/shapes/sizes.

Reply to
grimly4

I've done that at craft shows - not hot glass, but making little suncatchers from stained glass.

It's very popular, but you really need a.n.other to do the selling while you're doing the demonstrating...

We've the room in this new location to run mini-courses / demos as well

- and I think that'll create some interest and hopefully some purchases too!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I think there was a lot more of that sort of thing in the past. Brighton used to have 'The Glass Animal Man', who worked in his shop near the railway station and there was a shop where you could watch them making pictures from cork further down the hill.

These days, you are more likely to find it going on in a museum, like this one, which has a small group of craft studios in the grounds.

museum gains from the display of the craft and the crafter doesn't have to pay High Street prices for the premises.

I rather doubt that the stuff being shown in Muenster would have been suitable for doing in a shop though - it involved three men manipulating hot glass objects up to about a metre in length.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

When I did trade shows, I used to have a display that gave lightning like branching discharges. It was similar to the glass globes where you can direct the display to where you touch the envelope, but in a flat disk form. It had absolutely nothing to do with what I was selling - surgical instruments - but it caught people's attention, as did the bowl of mint humbugs on the edge of the stand.

As you seem to be planning, I mostly filled the stand with space. In my case, decorated with a number of very good artificial plants that were going cheap at my local cash and carry one year and supplied with some comfortable seating; a week is a long time to spend in an exhibition hall without comfortable seating. In a 3m x 4m stand, while there were product images on the walls, the actual products were quite small and fitted into one tall glass display case 50cm square and one glass-topped counter 100cm x 50cm.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes - anything 'eye-catching' works!

We've yet to see just how the people fit into the space.... it's going to become clearer as we get more involved with the premises...

Step 1 on Monday morning is the 'dustbin full of while emulsion and a stick of dynamite' approach.... after we've treated a small patch of damp on the wall and tidied some wiring...

Happy days!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall