Comet Again

Only this time, a real one!

(I can see the CBF brigade desperate to add some Polonium to this comet.)

" 6 February 2013 Last updated at 12:27

Comet Ison caught on film by Deep Impact craft

A comet likely to light up the skies later this year has been filmed from afar by the Deep Impact spacecraft.

Comet Ison was only discovered in September 2012 by Russian astronomers.

Its path will put it spectacularly close to the Sun in November and if it does not burn up entirely, could be the "comet of the century".

It already has a 64,000km-long tail of dust and gas that will become visible to the naked eye later in the year - a trail scientists will study closely.

"This appears to be this comet's first-ever journey into the inner Solar System and it is expected to pass much closer to the Sun than most comets," said Tony Farnham of the University of Maryland.

"Thus it offers us a novel opportunity to see how the dust and gas frozen in this comet since the dawn of our Solar System will change and evolve as it is strongly heated during its first passage close to the Sun."

Deep Impact has already been a resounding success in the study of comets; launched in 2005, its first mission was to fire an "impactor" into comet Tempel-1 and study the debris from the impact.

That accomplished, it was redirected to take a look at "space peanut" comet Hartley-2 in late 2010. Sungrazer

Deep Impact has now set its sights on comet Ison during a 36-hour period in mid-January.

The comet, discovered by Vitali Nevski and Artyom Novichonok and named for their institution, the International Scientific Optical Network, is still distant: 793 million kilometres away.

It will make its closest approach to the Sun - at a distance of not much more than a million km from the Sun's surface - on 28 November.

If this "sungrazing" comet survives intact, it should emerge from the near-miss even brighter than before, and could be lighting up our skies through January 2014 - perhaps even in broad daylight.

However, comets are unpredictable and can break up or fizzle out altogether even on their approach to the Sun - so sky watchers will surely keep their eyes on Ison."

it says 'If this "sungrazing" comet survives intact...' - what would be the alternative? I.e. it hits the sun. Will it have any impact on us?

Reply to
polygonum

Comets are mostly ice so, like a snowball in hell, it could just melt/burn away and break-up as it approaches the sun.

Reply to
djc

The one near me closed down last November. I went along in the last few days and got a few bargains.

mark

Reply to
mark

About time we had a decent bright comet too.

No. It happens quite often and sun grazers tend to evaporate completely before the actually hit the sun. There are amateur astronomers that scan the SOHO realtime solar images looking for sun grazer comets as serendipitous discoveries and plenty have been seen to go pop. eg

'd point at the SOHO sungrazer site but their links are all broken!

If it falls apart near the sun then it will be nowhere near as pretty as if it stays in one piece and is still outgassing nearer the Earth. I hope for something bigger and brighter than either Hale-Bopp in 1997 or Hyakutake (the latter briefly filled the sky at a dark site).

Doubtless we will have doomsday cults topping themselves again...

Reply to
Martin Brown

Shucks - I rather hoped it might increase Aurora or something like that.

Reply to
polygonum

I am praying for a miracle: it has a frozen lethal virus that only affects stupid people.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You need plenty of stupid people around, in order to do all the jobs you don't want to do, for much less wages than you'd expect to be paid.

If stupid people worry you that much, then maybe if the comet zapped the Internet instead, then that would be a much better solution all round.

As its only with the advent of the internet, usenet, twitter facebook etc that its become really obvious just how many stupid people there actually are, out there.

michael adams

michael adams

That's what machines are for...

No. Stupid people on the internet are not a problem.

No. Its always been known. They didn't run the world then, though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But then you'll end up paying more. Unless you make these machines for yourself then the people who sell you these machines won't be stupid enough to sell them to you for the same price as you'd need to pay stupid people to do the same work.

They're not stupid, so why should they ?

So at what point in history did the stupid people take over, and how many people realised this at the time ?

michael adams

michael adams

Talking about stupid things on the internet. Not dropping sigs, not snipping, not using standard sig separator are all things that ARE problems in news groups.

Reply to
polygonum

Aye, haven't had an easy naked eye comet for a good few years.

I can't remember which one of those I saw somewhere darkish a mile or two of the M4 a good few miles to the east of Swindon. Very impressive, head as bright if not brighter than Jupiter/Venus and the tails stretching half way across the sky.

I'm not holding my breath for Ison but it would be good to see another bright comet.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Poor old you.

My heart bleeds.

michael adams

michael adams

Martin Brown wrote: [snip]

Reply to
Steve Firth

Have you made a will yet?

Reply to
dennis

No. have you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would be immune.

Reply to
dennis

Under what condition(s)?

Reply to
polygonum

Still being a total arse, I see, Adams.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You mean a hole arse? :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Thought we were talking astronomy here so surely it's a black hole .

Reply to
whisky-dave