Combis and showers

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:56:28 +0100 someone who may be "Doctor Drivel" wrote this:-

An amusing comparison with the 25-30 l/min of one alternative

note that it is best to compare apples with apples. As it says on that page, "Typically combination boiler flow rates are based upon a temperature rise of only 35°C. Mainsflow will deliver hot water at up to 55°C."

Reply to
David Hansen

So now you're advocating creating acid rain?

Not even that. It's nowhere near enough to run a body jet shower.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The point of this thread was "Why would the cold water supply tank need to be raised?" Perhaps a little less pontificating and a some illumination to your original statement "You really don't know, do you" would be far more helpful to this group. If there's something subtle I've missed then I apologise in advance.

Reply to
Fred

Think you find out that the sort of bath like this that you hang back up on the hook after use isn't common these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not sure if 40l/min is normal but I've just measured my hot tap to be

18l/min and is a convention system with a hot water cylinder fed from a cold water storage tank. Standard 22mm pipe is used throughout and the runs are relatively short.

My main bug bear with combis is that they tend to be oversized for the radiators they drive which means excessive idling.

Modern boilers have timers which delay the boiler stat demanding heat. The on-time becomes shorter in comparison to the "extended" off-time leading to a lower average water temperature leaving the boiler.

Also pump speeds are higher in an attempt to increase flow through the boiler. As a result the return temperature is on average hotter leading to less "condensing".

The advantage of combis are reduced heat loss from a cylinder and simpler plumbing.

Reply to
Fred

Not for well designed ones: the Glow-worm 30Cxi modulates down to 5kWh.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Aah yes forgot about modulating ones. Is the airflow for the burner also reduced? Otherwise all that excess cold air being heated doesn't improve efficiency.

Reply to
Fred

Best let me do that as I know more than anyone here.

Boy you must be very empty then.

Some combis can, but this one is saying only one matter, with his, "reasonably priced". Which means a B&Q special.

My wisdom my dear fellow.

Did they abuse you in the boozer? I'm not surprised.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Are you saying 16 l/min will not do a Tower Shower?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, you are mad.

They say minium of 10 litre/min. 16 litres with added cold will do it. Matt, you stop making thing up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Richard, it doesn't matter to you as the men in the home bath you.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

** snip senilty **

Sad but it has to snipped. He is a Cheggers fan you know. He is also into the Crankies too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel
** snip tripe by a senile person **

Now onto Fred...

18/litres/min is about right.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

....providing 16 litres a minute of lukewarm water in winter and the moment anyone else in the house turns a tap on you will get a shocking blast of cold water followed by a potential scalding.

Reply to
Matt

Spraying mists of acid from the flue? Seems like acid rain to me.

That may be what they say on the data sheet and it is, of course a

*minimum*. For a body shower to be in any way worthwhile, the flow rate needs to be 25lpm or more.

The second point is that the 16lpm rate produced will be the limit of the boiler's capacity in cold weather since it will only be able to produce this flow rate at 40 degrees output. Therefore there will be no scope for adding cold.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, you just made that up. Most have switchable body jets and shower head.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Lord Hall, I just told you to stop making things up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

99.9% of them are.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The whole point of them is to be able to run them simultaneously.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt tell that to the people who make them.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel