Combination lock

I have two pilot cases used by a former employee (now deceased) that I do not know the combination for. Does anyone know of a way to open them without breaking the locks? They are the common three numbered roller type.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Offer a small child a couple of quid to try all the combinations :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

wont take long to try 999 combinations. Chances are the second one will be the same number.

Reply to
Kellerman

If you go to utube you will find a few methods for doing this, I have been successful on 3 occassions as I had a few of these cases from previous employment and kept forgetting the code.

Reply to
ss

First thing to try is the obvious.

Assuming two locks, six-digit date of birth, phone number, wedding anniversary, etc.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Except chances are you'll only have to try ~500.

We have these three digit combo locks on our lockers at work. It usually only takes about 5 minutes to open them if the combination is unknown.

Reply to
Huge

Back in my memory some place I remember a lady who seemed to be able to figure these out somehow by how they felt when turned. Never did figure that one out myself, maybe its like water divining, you either have it or you don't. She has probably profited by a life of crime by now. Seriously though, there do seem to be some videos about this kind of thing. A little worrying as presumably the idea is to make stuff secure! Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

It's possible to feel the mechanism as each digit engages with the correct place, whilst operating the catch.

Never let anyone know you can pick locks.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Jethro_uk wrote in news:mt64og$cpn$2@dont- email.me:

The catch will usually press more heavily on one of the tumblers - whilst applying pressure turn it until the tumbler seems to drop in to a groove. Then try the next tught one.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

If these are the ones with three or four wheels,they do not have tumblers, each wheel has a slot that has to line up in a strait line. some times you can get a wire from a wire brush and feel the slots

Reply to
F Murtz

Sorry - I knew what I meant but used the wrong word.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

try phone number of person concerned .. many use that ..

Reply to
rick

Try this:

rick

Or birthdates.

Reply to
David Lang

or

rick

Doesn't take long starting from 000. Pay attention to the feel of the wheels as you move them, when at or near the right position they normally feel tighter.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've given up and hit the latches across with a hammer and mandrel!

I spent ages on one lock, couldn't feel or hear any clicks and despite using a bit of WD40 they are quite stiff so trying each combination in sequence was a PITA.

Surprisingly the latches still work after the hammer treatment, you just cant set a combination to lock them now :-)

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

How come?

I did this on a suitcase a few months ago. It took less than 10 minutes for a lock. Admittedly the first digit was a 3 and if it had been a 9 it would have taken longer. Of course, if I'd started at 999 rather then

000 and it had started with 9 it would have been even quicker.
Reply to
Andy

My apologies. I must learn to read the whole post before replying.

Reply to
Andy

Now that is what I call proper DIY:-)

Reply to