Combination Boiler Flue

It may be that the chimney stack is constructed with several flues - this is typical in older properties - for example to connect from the separate rooms upstairs and down.

Normally a conventional flue, where passed through a chimney stack is hooked up using a flue liner (flexible metal tube) all the way to the top. As long as this is passing through a separate flue way to that from the open fire, then it's fine. Presumably the smoke from the fire exits via a different pot, in which case it will be separate.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hmm. Could be, I suppose. I'll have to check. But somehow I doubt it - the fireplace is a 2m wide inglenookleading to a pretty large chimney without any pots on. When we queried adding pots to stop rain coming down the chimney (which isn't actually that much of a problem, it turns out) our chimney sweep explained that we'd have to reduce the opening and use a smaller fire basket, etc.

The boiler's flue is a large-ish (150mm, say) steel pipe which disappears into the chimney. I have no idea what connects it to the terminal but I had assumed it was the same, rigid pipe all the way.

I can see I need to look into this rather more seriously. AFAIK the boiler was installed in 1989 - have the requirements changed since then?

Presumably the smoke from the

As I mentioned before, no pots. I think I may need to have a good look up (or down) the chimney

Many thanks

Neil

PS I realise that this won't thread properly, but google groups is v. slow to update and I expect to be on my way through the door shortly. Merry Christmas.

Reply to
Neil Jones

I suppose what I meant to say was that the public perception is that a registered fitter (with certifiation for wet CH and water heaters) would be able to fix boilers and heating systems. Sadly this is not the case, it would be impossible to get an exam pass without some idea of how a boiler is meant to work. However there is a large gap between spotting obvious safety defects on a few boilers and being able to diagose faults on most boilers without the manual - which is the standard required to have happy customers.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Or taking your car to a garage and asking "Does it need a service" HTH PHIL

Reply to
Phil