Combination Boiler Flue

Page 1 of 3
I am currently fitting a balanced flue, wall mounted, combination boiler in a kitchen after removing an old type floor boiler which had a conventional flue that went into an external half chimney stack. I know it's illegal to fit the new flue into the existing flue but is it possible to go right through horizontally from the internal kitchen wall through the stack cavity to the outside. Will this comply with the regulations.
Lin G wrote:

It is illegal for someone not CORGI registered to work on a gas appliance.
Bob
Bob Smith wrote:

No it's not.
Rob wrote:

http://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/section_gas_law/your_rights_dont_diy.asp
"Unregistered installers and DIYers are not only breaking the law but can also put yourself, your friends and your family at risk. "

What else would you expect from the CORGI website? Or perhaps you believe they make the laws?
They're lying.
--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

That's talking about installation BUSINESS. http://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/section_gas_law/the_law.asp is more relevant.
From:
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1998/98245102.htm#3
3. (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.
(2) The employer of any person carrying out such work for that employer, every other employer and self-employed person who has control to any extent of such work and every employer and self-employed person who has required such work to be carried out at any place of work under his control shall ensure that paragraph (1) above is complied with in relation to such work.
(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.
If you're DIYing, you need to be competent to comply with 1), but 3), regarding CORGI registration, doesn't apply.

and they also say...
"According to our figures, there is more than an 81 per cent chance that a significant gas safety defect will be left in gas work carried out by an unregistered installer"
How on earth can they come up with any sort of figure like this... looks like scaremongering to me...
It would also be interesting to know what the chances are of a defect when using a CORGI registered fitter... higher/lower?...it would even be good to know the number of complaints CORGI receive and even more interesting to know of any cases where they have actually taken action against an incompetent installer. Then people may even have some confidence in them.
As it stands they strike me as an organisation who are paid for by their members and are also supposed to effectively police the members, perhaps a little conflict of interest.
cheers
David
David Moodie wrote:

So 81% of defects they see are caused by unregistered installers. So 19% of all defects are down to registered installers. Not encouraging. And I guess they don't see many perfect DIY installs because there is no need to call them.
I agree. Gross manipulation of figures to scare people.
Rob wrote:

Not quite - they're saying that 19% of installations by unregistered installers are okay.
Still agree with your points though. :)

I'd guess the figures are *very* misleading as they're most likely only to get involved in one where something had gone wrong.
--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

BTW, I sold a pcb to a fitter last week who phoned me to say there was a problem with the board (it was in fact the HT lead open circuit). He didn't even realise that the ignition spark should stop when the flame is sensed and the main valve comes on ... CORGI !
--
geoff

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:40:26 +0000, geoff wrote:

Getting CORGI registration is about safety not about technical expertise although the subjects are inter-related to a certain extent.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

I don't see how safety can even be an issue when someone doesn't have a clue what he's doing. This person is CORGI registered, but I know he really doesn't have a clue
--
geoff

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:38:20 +0000, geoff wrote:

I suppose what I meant to say was that the public perception is that a registered fitter (with certifiation for wet CH and water heaters) would be able to fix boilers and heating systems. Sadly this is not the case, it would be impossible to get an exam pass without some idea of how a boiler is meant to work. However there is a large gap between spotting obvious safety defects on a few boilers and being able to diagose faults on most boilers without the manual - which is the standard required to have happy customers.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

No, they're saying - as I read it - that if you visit 100 defective gas installations, 19 of them will have been done by registered installers. But (pulling figures out of the air) if 95% of the total are OK and 80% of the total are done by registered installers then out of 2000 installs you get
Total Not OK OK %OK Registered 1600 19 1581 98.8 Unregistered 400 81 319 79.8 Total 2000 100 1900 95.0
On these (purely guessed) figures 80% of unregistered installs would be OK.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:34:59 +0000, David Moodie wrote:

It proabably means 81% of the installations they investigated but of course they don't investigate the ones which have alive and contented customers.
I think this is covered the beginner level abuse of statistics.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

I've mentioned it before, but I'll repeat it again here. Of all the gas connections in my house, there is only one which was not sound. This was the one which was made by a BG fitter when they delivered and installed a cooker.
--
geoff

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:49:13 +0000 (UTC), "Bob Smith"

Unregistered installers, if operating on an employed or self employed basis are breaking the law. The law does not support CORGI saying that competent DIY work is breaking the law, and neither does the HSE, who are empowered by the SI to enforce it.
The HSE does not support the notion that outlawing competent DIY work is an issue to address either. They therefore accept that under current legislation that it is legal.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/change.pdf
page 50.
If you read further in this document, you will learn that there have also been questions raised about CORGI, who are a trade association, being put in charge of a regulatory process.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

The doc also says ('Analysis of responses') that the issue (whether to ban DIY gas work) was 'posted on a DIY internet web site'. No mention of certain newsgroups.
Wonder if there should be a statutory requirement for competence in using the internet for policymaking consultation? ;-)
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-|-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ a town is never big enough to support one lawyer, but it can always support two
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:12:15 -0000, "John Stumbles"

Don't be so silly! I cannot imagine any government, let alone this one, introducing common sense into their law making attempts.
Far easier to justify their legislation by asking oneself the question "could this be related to increasing taxation?". If the answer is no, you've got a bit of a quandrary on your hands.....
PoP