combi in stairwell ?

Dear Group,

Could this possibly be allowed ? I have a centre stairwell with plenty of room and a tiny kitchen and bathroom.

probems I forsee :-

  1. Air supply into enclosed space / CO buildup
  2. This is the main fire escape route from upstairs.

Not my idea I swear, but it would be very convenient as my stairwell is rapidly evolving into a "services hub" for the house :-

(163 KB)

The alternative solution would be the right hand alcove in the downstairs front room feeding into the existing chimney.

(donning my dunce's cap in anticipation of the answer)

Jeremy

Reply to
brugnospamsia

I'm pretty sure you need to have the combi in a one hour fireproof cuboard with as self closing door (spring). I would go for the alcove and a sound deadened cupboard. Many combi's can have 30 foot of plastic drain pipe for the flue which can be fed up the existing chminey.

Reply to
IMM

Even if this were an _exterior_ space (diagram was not clear to me) this would be bad practice. IIRC there was a bulletin form CORGI about this a few months ago, although the BS 5440 dose not rule out using an enclosed open topped or three sided atrium there are potential nuisance problems if not a lingering safety concern.

OK I've re-understood your post. The flue will be outside but the appliance in the stairwell. AIUI this would be OK unless the appliance restricts the use of the stairs (that would be bound to come foul of the building regs somewhere).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

thanks for the advice.

I have to say having just had the roof fixed I was reluctant to cut a hole in it for the flue - though perhaps I could have run a duct inside the roofspace and into the chimney there ....

Though it would be well above headroom clearance, I think it will be going downstairs.

I still want to run the pipework (including gas) inside the stairwell - is there any trunking available that will easily take a decorative finish - since it will be slightly proud of the plaster or drylining and hence be a "decorative feature" (yuck!) ?

I must apologise for my "industrial" taste in such things - getting better though - a few years ago I had a mind to have colur-coded surface conduit all through the house ;-)

Jeremy

(who has 12 volt electrics and relays on his pushbike)

Reply to
brugnospamsia

"brugnospamsia" wrote | I have to say having just had the roof fixed I was reluctant to cut a hole | in it for the flue - though perhaps I could have run a duct inside the | roofspace and into the chimney there ....

The flue has to go all the way to the outside, but (depending on the boiler) it may be possible to go up inside the chimney to a terminal.

| Though it would be well above headroom clearance, I think it will | be going downstairs.

Bear in mind that if the boiler is mounted above head height, there will be access considerations.

| I must apologise for my "industrial" taste in such things - getting better | though - a few years ago I had a mind to have colur-coded surface conduit | all through the house ;-)

Why not run all the services on the outside of the house. If it's good enough for Lloyds ...

| (who has 12 volt electrics and relays on his pushbike)

If you added a small gas tank and a CHP boiler you could have 240V lighting and a warm shower on the way to work. Time, energy and money saving. A win, win, win situation.

Owain

Reply to
Owain