combi fed radiators gurgle

Recently had a combi fitted, power flushed the system and refilled. But now the radiators gurgle like mad. In a tank system I would open the valves on the radiators to let the air out, but since this is a pressurised system I don't know what to do. Last night at 3 o', heating fires up to keep the house above 15 degrees, my merry family nearly out their respective beds when the howling of the wolves, uh, the gurgling of the radiators started. Any advice much appreciated - do I need to call in my plumbers?

Cheers

Fred

Reply to
Fred

The combi will have a fill loop hose near it on the pipework, usually below where the pipes go in, and will also have a pressure gauge on the front telling you where the system is on scale of 1 to 10 bar' or so. A normal system works around the 1.5 bar mark. You bleed the rads as you would normally do, but between each bleed look at the pressure gauge and top the system back up to the 1.5 bar mark with the valve on the fill loop.

The fill loop should be just a flexible hose, connected to a valve on two pipes below the boiler. It should be disconnected from one side, either side does, after filling the system to the correct amount. The hose doesn't/shouldn't need to be connected using grips or large pliers, but just screwed on to hand tight on to the valve. Make sure you have it on the correct threading. After bleeding the whole, remember to disconnect connect the fill loop from one of the valves again.

That's it. Done.

Reply to
BigWallop

If its a Valiant the fill loop is integral, check the manual and it will tell you which to open. Very easy job to do.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

Thanks Stephen, I didn't know that about the Valiant boiler.

Reply to
BigWallop

'Fresh' water will always gurgle for a few days until all the air comes out. Do sealed systems have automatic bleed valves? If not, you might need to bleed a couple of times. Also, has inhibitor been added? This tends to quiet things down rather sooner. If not, I'd see to that ASAP. A system which has had inhibitor used from new and changed regularly should never need a power flush.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Damn, this would explain why my combi lost all pressure a couple of weeks ago after bleeding 3 upstairs rads...

Still, I needed the plumber anyway to fit new valves on the downstairs ones (one was seeping a bit, another leaking quite badly)!

John.

Reply to
JM