Combi drill - again

Seem to be getting to the point where I'll need a new combi. My current one (high quality - Powercraft!) is taking longer to charge and doesn't run all that long on hammer.

Although I'm not too keen on NiCads and especially small ones, the Makita that was £100 from SF is now £80, so I'm a bit tempted (the 18V Site is still £100 with 3 bats.).

Is the Makita really worth having at this price? The reviews are good, but I'm still dubious about the batteries.

The other one that tempts me (but £40 more) is the Erbauer ERB093COM 18V Li-ion Cordless Combi Drill - Erbauer any good?

PeterC

While not big on capacity, if they are decent cells then the pack performance ought to be ok.

Its probably worth having at twice the price. You could always get a couple of higher capacity NiMh batts for it later.

Not in the Makita league

Reply to
John Rumm

You may not need 18v. A Makita/Site 14.4v will run rings around an 18v Powercraft. My 14.4v Mak does everything I've ever wanted it to do.

Have a look at the Site 14.4v for £60 c/w 3 batteries.

I ran 1.3 a/hr Makita NiCds for 3 years trade use, including heavy decking work before I had to upgrade.

"Once you've had Mak there's no going back" :-)

Exactly what I did.

Nowhere near. Plus you can easily buy every single part of a Makita if you ever need spares.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

volt, and the batteries, are still in great shape after what must be at least 8 years

Reply to
stuart noble

remember when I last charged my DeWalt (been over a year), but had to swap to the spare battery this w/end whilst hole-sawing through a cabinet. The original battery I've used randomly during this time, and the second has been boxed, probably for well over a year.

Never tried the Makita but at that price it has to be worth a punt.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

The Makita 14.4V on SF is a tad pricey. The Site 14.4V is £80. I probably don't need 3 batteries, especially NiCds, as there'd just be more of 'em gorn flat (I sometimes go a few months between uses).

Yes, I suppose that Makita cells would be better than Powercraft!

And the charger's OK for those (I saw a DeWalt that could handle different chemistries)?

Although the Erbauer might not be as good as the Makita, I was tempted by the batteries - but am I back to 'there are batteries and there are batteries', as with NiCds?

Thanks for the info., John and TMH. I'll have to decide soon as I'd like to get something on Thursday. BTW, B&Q had the Makita at 20% off last w/e.

Reply to
PeterC

The mak chargers are usually pretty smart - delta peak detecting, with thermal overload protection. They do NiCd and NiMh, usually in any voltage up to the maximum of the charger (so a charger for 18V will do

7.2, 9.6 and so on as well

The Li-ion chargers/batts are different and not interchangeable.

Reply to
John Rumm

Like much else there are Ni-Cads and Ni-Cads. Good ones are better than mediocre ones of whatever is the latest fashion.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its £60 here

Mak chargers handle a wide range of voltage & types. When I swapped from NiCd to NiMh the charger was the same. Mak chargers are also 'smart'.

You won't ever regret buying a Makita drill driver.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

that's a drill-driver and I need a combi :-( , so the Makita is the better value.

Reply to
PeterC

As I thought - the DeWalt said that the drill could take all 3 but didn't mention the charger's capabilities. It'd be a bit OTT/expensive to make a charger to do all 3.

Reply to
PeterC

I have just replaced my ten year old Bosch PSB 24VE-2 with another one I got for =A3100 at B&Q. 24v NiCd. Unfortunately they seem to be about =A3150 best price at the moment.

The old one is still in use but has started to jump out of gear. I have given it sporadic hard use (e.g. 2' long 3/4" masonry bit) and it looks scruffy but rarely needs the 1hr charge, even now. I would recommend them, although I haven't tried the competition.

Pete

Reply to
peteshew

I like Bosch, especially the 3-yr. warranty (Makita is only 1 yr.).

Reply to
PeterC

Is the Bosch one unconditional? Their tools tend to be of the DIY variety whereas Makita pro.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't know. Aren't blue Bosch of Pro. quality?

Reply to
PeterC

Yes, the green are DIY - I was fooled by the title of the ng. I think the blue are pro, they are more expensive certainly.

Pete

Reply to
peteshew

Reply to
PeterC

> Yebbut, that's a drill-driver and I need a combi :-( , so the Makita

Just had another look. It says in the text that its a combi, but it isn't. The combi version is £80 here

The Medway Handyman

>>> Yebbut, that's a drill-driver and I need a combi :-( , so the Makita

's the one! Same price as the 18V Makita but one more battery.

Reply to
PeterC

>> Yebbut, that's a drill-driver and I need a combi :-( , so the Makita

Something I notice about that picture is that it looks like a two handed chuck - it will be interesting to see if it is or the single handed one like some of the Makitas. Does not appear to have the side caps to allow easy brush changes either. (not that it matters much, still on my first set after about 6 years of moderately heavy use.

Reply to
John Rumm