Combi Condensing boiler

Hi everyone, Ive norrowd my choice of new boiler down to two models Alpha CD32C and Ideal Isar 30. This is to replace my dead Servowarm boiler.

Anyone have any experiance of the two models, who could give me their experiance of either.

Thanks

Darren

Reply to
darren_forward

Early Isar models had problems but I have fitted one and it has been fine. Most installers who have worked on offerings from these two makers would rate Ideal as the better built.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I have an Isar HE35 - same design but 5kW more powerful... personally I find that 35kW is borderline power wise - I would not want anything less. If you are mostly into showers though you may be ok with the 30.

On the plus side:

It works better than any combi I have used in the past. It is physically very small and neat (and needs only 5mm clearance space each side) and was a doddle to install. It is nice and quite in operation. It maintains quite good temperature control even at very low flow rates (obviously once you exceed the power output at high flow rates the temperature will fall). It includes a small store of pre-tempered water to cut down heat up time when you turn a tap on. It modulates over quite a wide range so can manage long low power runs for the heating which helps keep efficiency up. Fluing options are not bad, although not as flexible as some. It has a downward firing burner and single piece Si coated Ali heat exchanger.

Down sides:

It has no built in timer or programmer (I use a programmable thermostat which does the job nicely). The compactness may prove a hindrance when servicing, since you may end up having to remove lots of stuff to get to the bit you want. The filling loop is not included in the main box like it is on some (although the pressure gauge is included in the mounting tray / pipe connection points).

Unknowns:

Don't know what reliability will be like in the long term (only 18 months old so far), but not too many horror stories being told. Don't know what the price of spares is like.

All in all very pleased with the boiler (allowing for the general limitations of combis). Would benefit from being on a slightly better rising main (ours can only do about 20lpm) but that is not really the fault of the boiler.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've got an Ideal Isar 30HE

I had it fitted back in April and so far had no problems whatsoever and I'm mighty impressed.

As another poster said it doesn't have a timer, but the programmable thermostat I have does the job.

It is a neat compact unit and undoubtedly may cause access problems when servicing it.

John

Reply to
John H

Ideal say no part takes more than 15 mins to replace.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Alpha are giving 5 year guarantees on their models having upped quality. Not so long ago B Gas would not sell the Istar and Icos they were so bad. Matter have changed there too. I would rate them about the same.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I would go with the one with the longer guarantee, assuming all else equal. My experience of combi boilers (and I have a few in rented properties) is that they are certain to break down within 3 weeks of the guarantee running out.

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

Buy the best quality. The same in buying any product.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That's a bit inconsistent with your normal approach, isn't it?

Reply to
Andy Hall

So that would be the same as you recommending cheap 'shed' power tools?

Using a hacksaw to cut plastic pipe rather than buying the correct tool?

Which face are you wearing today?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Matt, you are a very confused Little Middle England type of person.

..Lord Hall he has a problem, problems he always makes ..his problem is his brain as it aches and aches and aches

..every time he has a thought the aches they always come ..Lord Hall went to the doctor to find where aches came from

..the doctor said you must not think ..its' not for you, the sort of thing you should not do

..the doctor screamed, "you cannot think" .."Lord Hall do not try or you will sink"

.."you must be around the nice blue clouds", stated by the leading Quack ..chirping at the cuckoos who will cluck right back

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

...this senile man is clearly mad ...not just a tad ...he's clearly all the way ..."confusion in a derranged mind", the experts had to say ...he spouts aloud ...this is so sad ...praising God is his latest fad ...walking down the High St, this man is to be seen ...in flashers mack, "the end is nigh", he gives a constant scream

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I used to use that maxim, but now with combi boilers look to the guarantee.

All plumbers I've spoken to swear by the Worcester Bosch ranges and indeed they are usually a little more expensive than the others. However, out of all the ones I've fitted in the rented houses, guess which brand has had the most failures!

I was also told years ago that Potterton were a good brand since many of the parts that were plastic in other boilers were brass in the Potterton. Not sure about that but I know they stink when it comes to customer service. 18 month old boiler needing a new heat exchanger? I think not. A clear case of a Friday afternoon machine to me, but they would offer nothing towards a replacement.

I last fitted a Saunier Duval cheapo on the basis of a policy change to fitting cheaper units and then replacing when they develop a fault (yes, that is how bad it has got). Interestingly, it's been fine with no problems whatsoever.

Maybe just my experience of the damn things though. I have to say I am not too impressed with combi boilers. The old multipoint heaters used to go on for years and we had a floor standing Ideal Mexico in use for 32 years before it packed up, but I guess combis are a lot more complicated.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

Every seen a Viessmann, Eco-Homtec, ACV or Buderus? You will change your mind. But they cost more.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not really they are same as a standard system boiler with a water section added.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel