Combi bolier dilema

I have a baxi genesis 80 combi.

It will not fire up. No gas flow.

If I take off the outer combustion box cover, gas will flow and it will spring into life and ignite. As soon as I replace the outer combustion box door, it dies.

What could be wrong?

The fan runs.

Steve..

Reply to
dog-man

Blocked flue. Blocked tubes to Air Pressure Switch.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Blocked inlet flue?

Hole between inlet and outlet in flue.

Faulty/bunged up pressure switch/venturi for fan.

disconnected/holed pipe to same.

Etc.

Reply to
<me9

Yes, there is a spark and it will fire up if the outer combustion box cover is off. If it is on, it will not even spark.

Steve...

Reply to
dog-man

Stripped it down and blew through pipes etc.

There was no obvious blockages or large amounts of debris, but after reassembling, it fired up and worked as it should.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve...

Reply to
dog-man

Hmmm, after working perfectly yesterday and most of today after my fiddling with it, the fault has returned again.

I am therefore guessing that it is the air pressure switch that is faulty and my fiddling must have persuaded it to work correctly for a while.

Unless someone says I should not, I shall order a new air pressure switch in the morning.

Steve..

Reply to
dog-man

Have you tried shorting it out of the circuit to see if the boiler fires without it?

IANAP

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

No, how would I do that?

I have tested for contuinity across 2 of the three terminals as suggested by the handbook troubleshooter and it passed the test.

Steve..

Reply to
dog-man

The air-pressure switch was faulty on my boiler but it took a long time to diagnose as the problem was intermittent. Anyway, the plumber connected a wire across two of the terminals which bypassed the switch entirely and the boiler worked. This narrowed it down to a flue or air-pressure switch problem. Couldn't see anything wrong with the flue so the air-pressure switch was changed and the boiler's been fine ever since.

Obviously this should only be done to diagnose the problem and not as a permanent fix!

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

But which terminals to bridge?

There are 3 terminals.

P1, P2 and one other.

Steve...

Reply to
dog-man

Sorry, can't help. There was a circuit diagram on the inside of our boiler casing but I'm guessing there isn't on yours.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

I do recall a circuit diagram on the inside of the casing. I will see if it gives any clues.

I seem to have the same intermittent problem you had, as I have now replaced the outer combustion cover and it is working fine.

The replacement switch is only about =A326 so I would not watse too much if I was wrong.

Steve..

Reply to
dog-man