combi boiler too old?

Hi I just bought a flat in London (hard water) and the combi boiler (stelrad ideal sprint) is at least 15 years old judging by one of the date stickers. The hot water flow rate is poor and the water never gets really hot. The radiators get quite warm but never really hot either - the thermostat reads about 35-40c after an hour or two in use. The boiler sounds OK, not banging noises etc. There are no exposed temperature controls on the boiler so I can't adjust anything.

Are there any easy ways to increase the temperature or is the boiler just too old, probably furred up and in need of replacing?

If I replace it is it worth getting a condensing combi? It's a 1 bed flat and the water's hard so it might not last long enough to pay for itself.

Also, how can you tell if a water softener is working, apart from taking apart the boiler to see if it's furring up?

Many thanks

Jules

Reply to
Julian Chance

You could possibly get the heat exchanger descaled, however at that age you may start incurring other costs of spares that make it uneconomic. It's probably quite low spec anyway.

Certainly. Savings of 25-30% of gas use for heating are possible as compared with a boiler of this age, although in money terms, that may not equate to that many pounds.

You can resolve the scaling issue by putting in either a proper water softener (ion exchange type using salt) or a phosphate dosing unit such as a Combimate. The latter uses a very slowly dissolving chemical which costs about £15 per year to replace, and prevents or largely reduces scaling. It does not soften the water, so doesn't save on detergent or shampoo like a softener will. A softener will generally pay for its salt running cost in detergent and shampoo savings.

THe so-called electronic and magentic water conditioners are questionnable to put it kindly and for most people have little or no effect.

You can test the water with a test kit or test tablets (costing about £1-2)

If it's a salt based softener, you can tell because salt is used, and if you wash your hands with soap, the effect of hard vs. soft water is quite obvious.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The 3-way valve may only be partially opening as well. The phosphor decalers can have a habit of clogging to the venturi holes in the body. This requires removing the top (easy enough) and poking out all holes with a paper clip. The magnetic and electronic descalers sopmetime are not effective. But fitted on an appliance imput teh success is much higher. Some makers recommend them. This company:

clearly show one here
the bottom left piccie, the bottom left pipe under the blue knob.

A full salt softener is expensive and a waste of time. They also take up space.

Reply to
IMM

For values of "sometimes" approaching 100%

Given that they are the only solution (other than moving to a new part of the country) if you want properly softened water, what else would you propose?

and so do you....

Reply to
John Rumm

But at least it's an improvement on his glowing praise of a some time ago. Perhaps he's actually fitted one and discovered it doesn't work - as has everyone else who's tried one in a hard water area.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's an understatement.

There is no evidence for that whatsoever.

In other respects their information is reasonable.

Don't be stupid. An ion exchange softener is ceertainly more expensive than a phosphor dosing unit, but it softens the water and in turn prevents scaling. None of the other options do both of these.

So do you, but democracy allows it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

There are countless 100,1000s of them in use.

Reply to
IMM

That's as may be. It doesn't mean that they are doing anything worthwhile.

Reply to
Andy Hall

There are 100,1000s of people like you around too, doesn't mean any of them have the common sense they were born with !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

More lunacy

to open account

Reply to
IMM

Mine works and so do all the others.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

Interesting comment on Child of Our Time" last night that IQ can go down during childhood if you come from an impoverished background. So (stretching things a little) one can literally "not have the common sense one was born with"!

dIMM obviously doesn't have the common sense to realise what he's lost. MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Maxie, the cheek of it!! This one is saying, Dim Lin the Oriental enchantress doesn't have common sense. Some people are just full of jealousy.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

Obviously YOU haven't got the sense to realise I ws talking about YOU.

Reply to
manatbandq

Another confused person. Everyone knows about Dim Lin the luscious lovely.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

Oriental

And they all know about Dim dIMM the snivelling drip.

Reply to
manatbandq

God observation 10/10. People take up space.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

I more than glowing piase for them. Mine works. Isn't that brill?

to open account

Reply to
IMM

You forgot to answer that bit... or are you incapable?

One of the advantages of omnipresence and being all seeing... It is OK though, I have no desire for you to worship me.

Reply to
John Rumm

to open account

Reply to