Combi Boiler Relief Pipework

Hi,

I'm currently preparing to have my current domestic heating/plumbing system replaced and will be using a combi boiler. I have almost everything sorted out, but I can't find any info on what to do with the relief valve pipework.

Can I use the existing hot water tank vent pipework for this relief, or do I have to run new pipework direct into a drain and if so, can I use the existing bathroom drainage system to vent into?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy

It must be copper and terminated outside at low level, typically a few inches from ground level. There must be an elbow on the end of the pipe to direct any discharge against the wall. The pipe does not have to be sleeved running through a wall.

Reply to
IMM

That's really spooky as I was just about to ask almost the same question! I have just had an Ideal Standard C24 combi installed, and I notice that the plumber has installed this pipe so that it sticks out of the outside wall, about 15 feet above the pavement.

I checked the installation manual; it states:

"SAFETY VALVE DRAIN The discharge pipe should be positioned so that the discharge of water or steam cannot create a hazard to the occupants of the premises"

That's all it says. (This is on page 17 of the manual, which is at:

the instructions don't seem to be concerned about possibly creating a hazard to passers-by! I think the plumbers's installed it incorrectly; am I right? How should it be done? The boiler's installed in a bedroom cupboard by the way, on an outside wall; nowhere near any drains etc.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Much info in the SealCH FAQ.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Reply to
IMM

See my post on this.

Reply to
IMM

I think this is one of the pre-cooked strings the IMMbot currently has in its repertoire dictionary. I've seen a few PRD outlets terminate at high level with an elbow to point them back at the wall, but IMHO and according to the instructions on the various boilers I've fitted the corerct practice is to terminate a few inches above ground level but directed straight down. (If it's pointed back at the wall there's more chance of it spraying out everywhere when teh pressure relief valve blows off.)

For all copper pipework it's good practice (and may be mandated in various regs) to sleeve them where they pass through masonry walls to prevent corrosion.

Reply to
John Stumbles

It is also in CORGI's too. You will fail the test if you don't answer as I told you. You can terminate directly down onto a flat roof with no access. having the pipe directly out is a no, no.

Just take note of what I write and stop trying to be a know-it-all.

Reply to
IMM

Reply to
nomatter

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:16:59 +0100, "IMM" strung together this:

I think that has to go in the 'IMM quote of the month' file.

Reply to
Lurch

Mr Pole,

Bean, than you.

Reply to
IMM

Thanks for the info. I assume that if there is no route to ground level (as is my case) I can terminate the pipe into a roof gully?

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy

The boiler makers will no doubt specifiy what they wan in the instructions.

If in doubt good practice would be safely and visibly.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Some do not.

Reply to