Combi boiler recommendation

Need a new boiler for the terraced house we are renovating to rent. Any recommendations? Any to avoid?

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

I recently had a Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 28i Junior on the basis that a lot of people recommended it, and I couldn't find anything bad mentioned about it... also, installers really seem to like it which helps when you're looking for a fitter.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Buy an Atmos Intercombi. A landlords boiler as they don't go wrong. No

3-way valves, and the DHW works when the pumps fails they are so simple. Not cheap but RR quality and reliable - what you need when letting. Don't buy cheapo stuff as you will just get hassle and expense and irate tenants.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

Buy a worcester or a vaillant

take drivels advice at your peril

Reply to
geoff

Maxie, the man is coming her for sound advice, so cut out the childishness. You have never seen or probably heard of an Atmos - Dutch. They are about the bets on the market. Have a look. The whole back panel of the combi is the heat exchanger, saving space. They are "very" well made.....and Landlords combi - no hassle.

Worcester and Vaillant are middle of the road boilers. Viessmann, ECO-Hometec, Atmos, Atag, Buderus, Quantum, Borag, etc are all better than those.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If Geoff hasn't come across one you can bet your bottom dollar you haven't either.

More catalogue recommendations, eh dribble? You're certainly good at those.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not actually true

it usually takes 2-3 years before I start seeing bits coming through

of course, there are exceptions

Reply to
geoff

Please eff off as you are a total idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Maxie, how many Atmos pcbs have you come across?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So it's a new design? Even less chance of dribble's 'recommendation' being of any use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

What percentage of the market do they have ?

bugger all

how many local authorities fit them ?

not many

Reply to
geoff

A lot in Holland.

A lot in Holland.

How many RR cars are sold Maxie?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You must eff off as you are a total idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We had an Alpha CD32C and the Alpha 7-day EasyStat Wireless programmer/stat fitted about 2 years ago and it's been excellent

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've got an Alpha Ocean, been fitted for around 8 years, but I dont think I'd get another, the main PCB went just over 2 years old, the DHW/Central heating valve had to be repaired at 4 years, an air meter had to be changed last year, now we are having trouble with the hot water cutting out (which may not really be the fault of the boiler, as the DHW heat exchanger was partially clogged).

I think 1 repair in 8 years would be good, but 3 or 4 isnt impressive IMO, though maybe their boilers are better now. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Hmmmmm, a truly remarkable thread! I have to say uk.d-i-y is a fantastic newsgroup, but it's really not at it's best whenever combis are mentioned.

Geoff, there's a poster on the Motley Fool discussion boards called Mike4. He's a very competent boilerman (judging from his posts) and also a pretty successful landlord. He posts in the property forums, and I think also on the DIY forum they have. He would be in an excellent position to judge what is a landlord's boiler.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

I'm not quite sure what would be special about one. Surely everyone wants value for money and reliability - not just landlords. Perhaps a landlord wouldn't be so interested in running costs if he's not paying them, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have read him - not impressed at all. He is lacking in many way like ED here. The best Landlords boiler is the Atmos: simple, reliable, the simplest boiler available, few parts to other combis, built like a tank.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Odd that, dribble was recommending these a couple of months back....

Reply to
John Rumm

You know, I bet dribble is a junior salesman at one of those showroom heat and plumb places.

The ones that operate positive discrimination on the 'hard of thinking', policies..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher