combi boiler pressure dropped

gone bitter today (2C) so heating was up, and I started feeling chilly. Rads were cold but stat was up. Checked boiler (in case timer was out) and discovered pressure was 0. I opened the valve and put it up to 1.5bar - everythings working fine now.

Presumably to lose that much pressure quickly implies a leak ? I have looked at all joins, and connections in to rads and boiler and everything seems dry ... could there be an internal boiler fault ?

Reply to
Jethro

most likey is the pressure relief valve leaking.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

up, and I started feeling

ah .. serious ? Big job ?

Reply to
Jethro

Could be the expansion vessel has lost pressure... check the pressure when operating - if it rises too much the overpressure valve will vent some water outside (plastic bag over the end to collect any evidence if not sure!) and you go through a cycle of working while hot, and then refusing to fire up once cold as the pressure has fallen too much.

Reply to
John Rumm

First of all tie a plastic bag over the blow off pipe with a rubberband to see if that is where the water is been lost. Water lost through the pipe could be due to either the pressure release valve or the expansion vessel.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks to all for the replies ... I located the pipe which goes outside, but no leak. Then pressure stayed up all week, so I was a bit puzzled. Then, this morning pressure had dropped to 0 ... and there was a leak from the fill/drain valve into the rad circuit. It took a complete 360 turn - leak stopped.

On the basis I have never touched that valve, which was fitted in

2002, along with the boiler, and there was no leak there in December, when I moved the washing machine (which did *not* touch or knock the valve, which is about 12" above the washing machine) I am wondering if the guy who serviced the boiler in January (as part of our Homeserve package) could have done something ....

Oh well, panic over.

Reply to
Jethro