Combi boiler noise levels

Hi,

I've received 3 quotes for fitting the same combi boiler in our house (a Worcester 37CDI), but the fitters have given me contradictory advice on where I should put it based on the noise levels from this machine, I wondered if anyone here could help.

One company recommended putting it in the loft because it would be too noisy for a bedroom. Another thought we should put it in our bedroom airing cupboard because "the noise levels are minimal on the newer models). I haven't been able to track down any decibel ratings for combi boilers so I thought I'd ask here.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
Dr Steve Burrow

I can't comment on that particular model. I've got an Ariston Microgenus combi which has ended up inside a cupboard in a sort of lobby area outside the kitchen. I'm glad it's there rather than in any room used for living in, and especially rather than in a bedroom. I find it quite noisy. It's the fan-powered flue which is the noisy bit.

It replaced an old-fashioned non-balanced-flue boiler from the 1980s, which apart from the slight hiss of gas was virtually silent. OK, it could kill you in your sleep with CO, but at least you could GET to sleep.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Have a Vaillant Eco Plus 837, positioned effectively in the Hall not in a cupboard, and would be hard pushed to tell when its firing.

Many of the boilers can be installed in a cupboard whcih doesnt need ventilating so could be soundproofed if necessary. Robert

Reply to
robert

Steve

These are very quiet boilers, until you hit the boost button then they sound like Concorde taking off (so does the gas meter incidently).

Personally, id remove the whole airing cupboard anyway - no need with a combi, and stick the boiler elsewhere. If you are committed to keeping the airing cupboard however you`ll not even notice it when its in there, they are quiet enough. Put it in kitchen/utility/garage if able to though.

Richard

Reply to
fullflow plumbing

Is that boost button only there so that the person testing the gas supply can test it properly?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Nobody can because there isn't such a model :-)

I'd suggest the attic rather than the bedroom unless the cupboard is really soundproof. Current model Worcester-Bosch boilers aren't that noisy, but they'd be annoying in a bedroom.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Yes, they make the boiler deliver full output without modulating down so you can check the gas rate and inlet pressure etc.

Some models have two engineer buttons, one of them with a logo of a man in a top hat carrying a ladder, for some reason. I've forgotten what those two buttons do now but I think I raised it here some time back so a groups.google for Worcester Bosch top hat should find it.

Reply to
John Stumbles

So there is no reason for a user of such a boiler to press the button then?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Certainly will be annoying. Shove it in the loft.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No, but if they do accidentally or experimentally they're unlikely to put it into full-bore mode as you have to press it for 10 seconds before it switches in.

Note however that the boiler will work at full bore at other times, making the same amount of noise etc: all the test button does is make sure it's running at max.

Reply to
John Stumbles

The pre-natural gas town gas boilers were "silent". The gas burners made no noise whatsoever.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Oh well, bung a couple of those in then :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Great idea, except they crapped up with sulphur at an alarming rate.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

More dribble. Every gas passing through an orifice will make some noise. I'll leave the obvious joke to others...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please eff off as you are total idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The usual dribble.

Out of the 68 posts you've made since your return only 22 have anything even a vaguely constructive point.

Perhaps it's time you 'effed off' again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please eff off as you an idiot wasting people's time.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

47 pointless posts in two weeks.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please eff off as you an idiot wasting people's time and a waste of space.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

Reply to
:Jerry: