combi boiler in loft ?

I wish to replace my old back boiler which is sited in the living room and flued directly thro the chimney.As I live in a mid terraced property I am restricted with wall space and would like to know if it is possible(LEGAL) to site a combi boiler in the large loft space on the chimney breast. Could I cut into the existing chimney and flue the boiler that way ? I cant find a Central heating Engineer to give me a straight answer ! Thanks.

Reply to
Coz

See CH threads a bit further down.

From my reading of other responses, I think:

(1) You could probably replace your current boiler with another non-condensing one because of your location.

(2) Plenty of people seem to have put boilers in the loft - the biggest issue is a big enough hatch to get the boiler up, and enough muscle to lift the darn thing.

(3) I understand that you can vent through the roof with the appropriate fittings; you don't need to use the chimney.

HTH

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

It really depends on the points system related to Part L of the building regulations. Details on

This takes into account house type, logistics for running flue etc.

An air intake has to be provided as well. Quite a number of boilers can have 50mm plastic high temperature waste for this and the flue making it reasonably easy to arrange in most cases.

It's also necessary to board or part board the loft and to put a safety rail around the hatch.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Another thing to mention is that unless there is an exemption as in (1), a condensing boiler has to be used. These require a condensate drain to be run to a convenient waste point.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No. a drain can drop to the drain stack. If the stack runs internally then it is already in the loft, so easy.

You need loft boarding from hatch to boiler, a permanent light over boiler, a permanent shoot down ladder. If the boiler is near the hatch then a rail around the hatch. The boiler must not be used as a store of objects, so fitting it high up prevents this. The boiler can have a plastic flue that is easily threaded through the chimney. A two pipe setup would mean the exhaust via the chimney, and the air intake maybe via the eaves. All using plastic drain pipe. A concentric flue would be fine as it would only be travelling a metre or so to the to chimney top.

The pressure relief pipe can terminate just below the eaves, as long as it is well away from windows and no door underneath, and the pipe turns in on itself pointing towards the wall. Using an elbow will do this.

Yep. Going through the chimney breast gives a nice real fie effect of smoke through the stack from the condensing plume.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel