Combi boiler external controls help

Looking to fit an external controller for my recently fitted boiler, but am a little confused as to which one to use/choose.

They seem to be categorised into "programmers", "timeswitches", and even "mini programmers" (according to

but some apear to belong to more than one category.

Could someone please care to explain the difference? BTW, I am looking for one that can do 5/2 or 7 day, 1 hour override, holiday mode, single channel,

3 on/off per day. I have a 3 c+e 2.5mm cable running from the boiler to the position where the controller is to be fitted.

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
JoeJoe

You may find that a programmable room stat is a simpler solution. Something like:

cease needing to worry about on/off cycles etc and just tell it the temperature you want at various times during day.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for that. However, it is a pretty big house, and I don't want to have to have to rely on one central thermostat. Each radiator has its own TRV, so I just want to be able to control On and Off times.

Reply to
JoeJoe

What are you using for the boiler interlock? Do you have one room with a room thermostat? Do you have a flow switch instead? Some other method?

I presume you haven't subzoned?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

2.5mm? Never seen that in triple and earth. 1mm should be fine.

My choice would be the Horstmann H17XL.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well it does that as well, and the TRVs can still do their stuff. It does provide a boiler interlock (i.e. turns it off when the house is up to temperature (and the boiler would otherwise be trying to force water through a bunch of mostly closed TRVs)

Reply to
John Rumm

Agreed this control (I've fitted around 50 units) does exactly what you want.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks for that - just ordered one.

Reply to