Combi boiler and water pressure

Mother in law has recently had a combi fitted It now looks like the South east will be having serious water shortages this year and I have heard that the water pressure to her area will be greatly reduced to conserve water So question is how low a pressure can a combi still work with and still give hot water.

Reply to
MikeW

It will say in the Technical Data inside the Installation/Service manual - which boiler is it?

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

Baxi I think What im mostly concerned with is could a low water pressure be in any why be dangerous to M.I.L or the boiler Or would it just not work if so I wonder what the plumber did with her nice HW storage tank with the immersion heater ;(

Reply to
MikeW

Reduced pressure means reduced flow through the boiler. This means the temperature will increase up to the maximum set by the boiler's hot water control (most ones have this). The the boiler will start burning less gas. Even less pressure will probably start to cause the boiler to begin cycling the burner and causing the water temperature to vary.

Extremely low pressure will cause the boiler not to fire as there won't be enough flow.

The water company will try to give you 1 bar of pressure this should provide a basic level of operation but likely not very 'nice'.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks for you help Ed

Reply to
MikeW

The combi will need hardly any pressure at all to operate. Indeed, it could be operated from a gravity tank sitting just above it, if you really wanted.

Low pressure, however, may affect the amount of water that you can squeeze out of a tap. If it falls below about 15 litre a minute, then it won't be very practical.

If it gets this bad, then you only need to install a cold tank in the loft. You don't need the old hot water cylinder back, the combi will run off the cold tank.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle