Coloured inkjet paper for newsletter?

Hello, I need help/advice with the correct choice of A4 coloured paper for a Newsletter which will be printed on both sides. We need to be able to fold it when delivering through letter boxes.

However, I printed a copy onto A4 paper of 80gsm and it did show some of the print through each side and whilst we can get away with some of it, we feel that something a bit heavier would be more acceptable.

I would appreciate help/advice regarding the appropriate gsm size which wouldstill allow maximum flexibility? Also, any recommendations fo sellers would be appreciated. Thanks again for any help, Allen

Reply to
Allen

The right solution is use a laser printer. Inkjet printing runs when it gets wet and that will not make you popular if carpets get stained.

Reply to
Martin Brown

They certainly used to. Remember years ago (30 ish) getting some inkjet printed Outside Broadcast Techinical Requirements, it rained. The ink washed clean off...

I think the last inkjet I had an Epson Stylus Photo Colour would smudge when still damp from the printer but once dried it wouldn't wash off.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That was probably an oil based pigment ink, assuming you were using Epson cartridges or one of the better compatibles. The cheapest inks are often water based dye inks and they do run easily.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Better compatibles, eh? How does one arrange to be buying one of them? The ones I get don't even indicate a country of origin.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It helps to have been in the business of selling them. :-)

The one I used to import for Epson printers were made by G&G, one of the largest cartridge manufacturers in China. I still use them in my inkjet printers. G&G have labs to match the OEM ink characteristics. Their cartridges are cheaper than OEM, but not the cheapest on the market.

I would provide a link to the site that sells them, but somebody would probably look at the name of the company owning the domain name and decide I was spamming, even though I sold it off several years ago.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

If you print on the right inkjet grade paper the results are more nearly water fast but that makes it much more expensive and double sided inkjet compatible paper pricing is off scale (if still available).

As someone else in the thread has already said unless you have copious free slave labour putting 3 folded leaflet print run of 500 out to a local print shop will be cheaper than DIY cost of ink and paper.

Our Parish magazine is a print run of 250 and that is worth outsourcing.

Some of the pigment based inks are more or less water fast when dry but also a lot more expensive to buy. Most of the dye based ones will undergo quite bad seepage on normal paper if they get wet.

My Canon i9100 I use for A3 posters original BCI-6 series dye cartridges on ordinary paper will run horribly if it gets wet. I have to laminate any that are going outside and even then over a couple of weeks if water gets in they suffer spectacular diffusion of the inks.

Amazingly despite their claims for light fastness in an outdoor position under Perspex there is visible fading after 3-4 weeks.

These days I use compatible inks as the printer owes me nothing and I don't really need exact colour matching on the output.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Hello, I need help/advice with the correct choice of A4 coloured paper

Look not only to the grammage of the paper but also the quality. Not all

80gsm is the same. You do get what you pay for. There is a lot of cheap reams of paper coming in from India and a lot of it is crap Look for inkjet printer paper not cheap photo copier paper for starters.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

xerox symphony. 80gms but very nice. Cost about 5 quid from the works a few years ago. 5 different colours in a ream.

As someone else has said - get a laser printer. They're not hugely expensive and will work out better than banging your head against a brick wall with an inkjet.

Reply to
mogga

  • another one. My LJ5M was £35 from eBay and is as reliable as a hammer.
Reply to
Huge