Colour variation in new grout

Our bathroom has been completely refurbished including the laying of

33 square metres of wall and floor tiles. While the general standard of the work is good the grout on two walls has not dried to an even colour and in some large areas it is noticeably darker than that on the other walls and the floor. We have left it for over two weeks but the problem is still evident. The bathroom fitters say that they have no idea what has caused the discolouration and have not as yet suggested a solution.

Grateful for suggestions.

-- rbel

Reply to
rbel

What colour is the grout ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

It is a pale cream, almost ivory. The discolouration is varying shades of grey.

I had a word with the grout manufacturer's tech services people this morning and they asked me to scrape the surface of a small section of the discoloured grout which revealed a much lighter surface. Given this they are certain that it is the cement base brought to the surface by too much wetting too soon after the grout was applied ie not sufficient time was allowed by the tilers from grout application to their initial (and over enthusiastic) cleaning.

They suggest that the tilers should try a 1:1 solution of Lithofin cement residue remover. In the event that this does not produce an entirely satisfactory result they recommend the use of one of the relatively new polymeric grout paints such as

as an alternative to raking the joints out and reapplying the grout.

-- rbel

Reply to
rbel