Colour Temperature Descriptions

Permission to scream, sir?

Looking for some lamps (CFL and/or LED) and, not wanting Warm White/2700K, nor Daylight, I have been searching with other obvious terms.

Have found that sometimes Cool White means 3000K. Sometimes 4200K, or

5000K, or 6000K or 6500K. Or some other in-between temperature. Seems to start at 2701K and go to infinity!

I had hoped that 6000/6500K might commonly be "Daylight", 2700K "Warm White" and maybe 3500 to 5000K could be "Cool White" - but no chance.

And does anyone list CRI in the lamp specifications? Other than a few fluorescents, hardly ever.

Reply to
polygonum

It tells you more with a tungsten lamp which has a fairly continuous spectrum output (as does a decent tri-phosphor florry) than with CFL and LED which are anything but.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fl tubes normally do. CFLs I've seen it in small print on the box, sometimes in a format like '827' meaning 80-90% CRI 2700K CCT.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

in a format like '827' meaning 80-90% CRI 2700K CCT.

Yes - seen that. But often not listed on-line, unfortunately.

Reply to
polygonum

lamps often do, as it's quite important. GE Sylvania did, the last time I looked.

Fluorescents... Knock yourself out.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Reply to
polygonum

or =A350? A CFL has better efficacy, faster warmup, longer life, instant on= offability and a fraction the price.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

£50? A CFL has better efficacy, faster warmup, longer life, instant onoffability and a fraction the price.

If you need it, the 83% CRI makes it worth the effort and money. If you don't need it, then a CFL will indeed do the job.

Reply to
John Williamson

mp for =A350? A CFL has better efficacy, faster warmup, longer life, instan= t onoffability and a fraction the price.

CFLs are normally in the 80s% CRI.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

for £50? A CFL has better efficacy, faster warmup, longer life, instant onoffability and a fraction the price.

Shop lighting designers are a different breed to anyone else and would get all precious if they couldn't get what they wanted. Also, there's an installed base of these things so notwithstanding the suitability or otherwise of the horrible CFL s**te, it's necessary to replace like with like as what shopowner wants to rip all the fitting down to put some utter s**te lighting in?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon