Colour of flame on boiler

Hi,

I noticed that the flames on our boiler had some orange 'bits'. The flames are mostly blue, there are just a few orange ones mixed in. The boiler hasnt been serviced for a long time (at least five years!) so I called the local plumber (corgi registered) and asked him to come and service it (I mentioned the flames). he did the business but the flames are still the same. I asked him about it and he said that it was working perfectly well and it was quite normal. is this the case? should there by any orange 'bits' in there? Sorry for lack of technical speak.

Thanks

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

Did he *service* the boiler, or just safety check it?

IANACorgi but I suspect some sooty bits on the jets. This might not (of only limited) affect the safety status, but might be expected to have been cleaned more thoroughly for a 'service'.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Please read the gas fitting FAQ.

Are the flames yellow like a candle or have orange 'flecks' more the colour of an orange street lamp?

On an older boiler it is almost impossible to remove every last particle of dust which causes the flecks of orange. Washing the burner is usually helpful.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The flames are blue with occasional orange 'flecks'.

Reply to
AlanC

He serviced the boiler. He completely stipped it down and cleaned it out and put it all back together. He was at it for about 2 - 2.5 hours.

Reply to
AlanC

Orange indicates sodium. Where it's coming from is anyone's guess though. Nemo

Reply to
nemo